Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having trouble re-installing XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

infowttech

infowttech

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Having extreme trouble re-installing XP pro. I'm getting the physical dump message at about 8 min left to go. Any ideas of what I can do to complete the re-install? :)

Thanks for your help

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When these things happen it's usually because of hardware failure or a faulty installation CD.

1: Is it always at the same point of time (8 minutes left to installation)?

2: Could you tell us the problems you had with the computer that caused the reinstallation of XP.

3: Did you format the disk during the installation? If yes, did you run full format (not "quick")

Download memtest from the link in my list below. Follow the instructions, create a bootable CD, boot with the CD and run the test at least for an hour. There should be no errors.

Find the name of the hard disk manufacturer (written on the disk) download it's diagnostic tool and create a bootable CD. Run a complete scan of the hard disk.

Reset the BIOS. Disconnect the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes. Reinstall, boot and set time, date and boot priority.

infowttech

infowttech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Yes, It always seems to bring up the physical dump message around the 8min point.
The computer was running extremely slow and was unable to get an internet connection.
It was a quick format on the boot disk.
I'll try the memory test and see what happens from there.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please run the hard disk test as well. It could be faulty, hence the slow performence and reinstallation failure.

Run full format at least once. If the installations fails after that and you try more installations then run quick format.

infowttech

infowttech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Unfortunatly, now it's only booting to disk. :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please be more specific. Write down what you have done and what happens exactly.

infowttech

infowttech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I ran the memory test, created a boot disk, ran the test for about an hour with out errors.

I download the western digital diagnostic tool. Ran a complete scan of the hard disk and
I did have a bad sector and repaired it.

Then it would only boot to disk

Reset the BIOS. Disconnect the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes. Reinstall, boot and set time, date and boot priority.

And now the windows screen and dell startup screen recycles over and over and never logs in.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

Then it would only boot to disk

What disk. The CD? The hard disk?

Try to clean your installation CD. Clean it with water and wipe it dry with a soft cloth. Make sure it is not scratched. Could you get another installation CD? I wonder if installation will be accomplished with another disk.

infowttech

infowttech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I'll clean the CD and give it a try.

Thanks

infowttech

infowttech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I finally got the boot disk to work, I have proceeded to Windows Setup and from there selected system recovery. What would I type in here?

Again, thanks for your attention to this, I'm killing myself here trying to get this computer up and running before Easter vacation.

thank you, thank you, thank you
:) :)

Edited by infowttech, 06 April 2009 - 02:07 PM.