Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Have to RESET motherboard jumpers every startup

• Please log in to reply

Tremortime

Tremortime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi, I just built a new computer with an MSIP45 Platinum motherboard. Problem is every time I start the computer cold or restart it will turn on but not display to the monitor. The LED lights display different error types (usually either a bad processor or loading keyboard) but if I reset the board with the jumper it works fine...until the next start/restart. All the major system components are brand new. Anyone heard of this sort of thing?

Thanks!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Tremortime...

I've run into similar problems a few times and it seems it was caused by something different in each case.

I had a motherboard that shipped with a defective battery that caused symptoms very close to what you describe and replacing the battery resolved the issue.

On another board, it was the board itself that was bad...this one also produced cpu, keyboard, and mouse errors. Replacing the motherboard resolved it.

On yet another machine, it was the CMOS chip itself that was bad...I also replaced the motherboard on this one and solved the problem.

That said, there should be a setting in the BIOS Setup for "Halt On". If the keyboard/cpu errors are caused by drivers that aren't loaded early enough in the boot routine, changing this setting to "No Errors" (or similar) should allow the machine to move on and load the drivers.

I'd try a different battery and change the Halt On settings in BIOS first to try and eliminate a possible problem with the motherboard.

As a side note, bad RAM modules can also cause similar issues, though I've not seen that cause keyboard or cpu errors.

wannabe1

Tremortime

Tremortime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I had to reset the bios and then it started. I finished installing the rest of the hardware then (I had removed all but the essentials before). Then I had to reset again. Then I restarted and had to reset again. However, ever since then, I have been fine (done about 5 restarts since). I had one sudden and total freeze but I think that might have been due to software (not positive though). I'll have to see how things go! Thanks for the help :)