Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

print spooler unable to connect to printer

• Please log in to reply

hopelessly lost

hopelessly lost

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an hp 6988 wifi printer connected via adhoc to my Dell laptop. My previous HP wifi printer worked great for two years before it started having intermitent connection problems and finally died all together. I installed a new printer and get the "Print spooler unable to connect to printer..." message. I am also connected to the internet via cable modem. Sometimes if I move the laptop closer to the printer it will connect and print, even when I go back to where I was. Both the printer readout and my laptop wifi program say I have a 4-5/5 signal. The printer is less than 10 ft away. If I restart my computer the error message comes up again. After spending over 3 hours on the phone with an HP support tech trying numerous attempts to resolve the problem his suggestion was to do an XP repair thinking it was a corrupt something or other. I do use RegEdit regularly.

Today I got brave and did an XP repair and after lots of nail biting it seemed to work.. At least my system is up and running with all my data and programs intact as far as I can tell. I reinstalled the printer and it worked ok. When I restarted the computer I once again get the same error message. I am soooo frustrated and have no idea how to fix this issue. I can hard wire the printer via usb, install the drivers, and it seems to work just fine. I just realized I never tried to restart after connecting via usb to see if the print spooler could connect but I think it probably will.

I have stopped and restarted spooler services....no change
reinstalled printer software/drivers...no change
did an XP Repair...no change
turned off firewall and antivirus...no change
verified correct isp
cursed my best phrases

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I just discovered that if I disconnect from my vable moden the printer will start to work, then I can reconnect the modem and the printer will still continue to print. If I start the computer with the modem cable disconnected it will print. If I start the computer with the modem attached it will not print. I have turned off the firewall but that does not seem to make a difference. I still can't figure out what the heck is going on. Could it be the AVG software? Up until recently it never caused a problem.

thanks in advance

hopelessly lost

Edited by hopelessly lost, 26 March 2009 - 08:52 AM.

Advertisements