Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need help re-installing xp pro

• Please log in to reply

shaz172

shaz172

• Pip
  • 3 posts
re-installing windows as i keep losing drivers... sounds drivers, video drivers, mouse and keyboard.
I have the i386 folder with winnt32 and winnt applications. When i open winnt32 (as winnt doesnt support 32bit) it says "cannot continue with installation as the version of windows on your computer is newer than the version on the cd" but it doesnt exit the setup or anything it will keep going with the installation if i wanted it to. It doesnt give me an option to upgrade or repair, I know i cant upgrade as i have sp3 but the only option in the drop down menu is "new installation (advanced)" is it safe if i follow thru

Edited by shaz172, 25 March 2009 - 04:32 PM.

Advertisements

shaz172

shaz172

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
nevermind

i went ahead and uninstalled sp3 to downgrade windows to sp2 and then reinstalled windows from my WINNT32.exe in I386 folder.
Just need to ask now.... when i start up my computer it gives me 3 options now of Windows XP Professional 4 and Windows Recovery Console and then Windows XP Professional 4 again.

Two of these options are the same.
I need to get rid of the other Windows XP Professional 4 option and maybe the recovery console? i dont know what that is?

How do i do this?

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello shaz172

DO NOT remove the recovery console ! , that is incase windows does not start up .. you can use the recovery console to recovery windows...

About the two boot enteries

Can you go to

Start > run > type: msconfig , hit enter , select " Boot.ini " tab and paste what is written in that section...

i beleive there should be two enteries of " Windows XP Professional 4 " and one entry of windows recovery console...

Can you post that data ???

Thank you

Anthony19