Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Immediate Log Off

• Please log in to reply

airport

airport

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This problem has come up here before but my computer is logging on then immediately logging off again to return to the log on screen. The reason I'm asking again is because nothing I've tried works. The following processes are what I've tried so far:

1- http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm

2- Here is the solution to the logon - logoff issue in Windows XP.

Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE--- Whenever I try this it say something along the lines of file does not exist

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Now, change the USERINIT value in the registry (see Phase II in this page) and change it accordingly.

3- And repairing Windows XP with the repair feature on the cd.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then a repair is in order...go here for the how to guide...

airport

airport

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's Actually #3 on the list that I have tried. It didn't work, thanks though.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...you can skip the chkdsk instructions but I recommend you do all the steps...

go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
nojoy...
boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press Enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd

Reboot

airport

airport

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I tried this I got the windows setup screen but then it went to a screen that said that a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. There is also some other information given and then the technical info which is:

Technical info:

***Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, OxF78D9F08)

*** pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

Is there something else I need to be doing?

Thank you

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you add any new hardware or software just prior to having problems...

unplug from the wall ...open the case and remove any PCI devices you have installed...try again and DO the chkdsk /r

airport

airport

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not sure what that is. Its a laptop and I haven't added any hardware to it. As for software I might have but don't remember what it was as I've been working on my old laptop and have lost track of what I've installed on which.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
If the following conditions are true, the issue might be a hardware incompatibility with Windows XP because all the installed drivers are Windows XP drivers:
You receive the STOP 0x7E error when you first start the computer.
You receive the STOP 0x7E error after you run the Setup program.
You did not install any third-party drivers during the installation of Windows.
However, if you receive the STOP 0x7E error after you upgrade from Windows 2000 Professional, or if you recently added a new hardware device, this issue might be an incompatible driver or an incompatible hardware device.

go into the bios and use the fail safe settings or optimized settings...sometimes F5 but you will have to read the screens to be sure...then F10 ..usually to save the settings but read the screen to make sure.....try again...
nojoy
you may have to go into the bios and disable a few things at a time until you find the offending hardware...start with anything related to the PCI first..
no joy ...
go to your computer manufactures website and get your drivers...start with your chipset drivers...