Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel keeps shutting down when working with Charts

• Please log in to reply

janetlyn41662

janetlyn41662

• Pip
  • 4 posts
FYI: After registering I went straight to the Malware Go Here First forum and went through all the instructions and downloaded the two programs I might need to give you more data (like HijackThis).

I have an excel (2007) spreadsheet with graphs on the same sheet. I have had them for 8 years. This month, when I went in to update the data (updating the
charts) I had to change the title on one of my graphs to say "Billings by Client - 2009" versus 2008. I clicked on the title, went to the end, backspaced, but the minute I typed in a '9', the error message showed up and I said, yes, notify Microsoft.

I have tried deleting the current chart title and then inserting a new title, which works fine, until I start typing inside the box with the new title. The minute I click on a letter, number, whatever, it gives me an error message, shuts down excel, reopens excel.

I was told to try this:

Do you get the same error if you try this code from the immediate window.

Select chart
ALT+F11 to go to VBE
CTRL+G to go to immediate window

enter the following and press enter.

Activechart.charttitle.text = "Billings by Client - 2009"

This worked and I moved on to further update my charts. I had to add a Primary Vertical Axis Title and the same thing started happening. Excel shuts down. I had converted this particular workbook from 2003 but thinking maybe that was the problem, I completely deleted one of my charts and created a
new one. The minute I tried to give the chart a title, it did the same thing, knocked me out of Excel. This time it did give me a message from Microsoft
saying they noticed I kept getting kicked off so they ran all these diagnostics and everything was fine. I tried running the above VB in the immediate window except where 'chartitled' was, I changed it to a myriad of possibilities (i.e. verticalaxistitle, primaryverticalaxistitle, verticaltitle, etc.) None worked. I have looked everywhere for the proper verbage to do this and cannot find it anywhere. So, that is something I need help with.

But mainly, I would like to know why Excel keeps shutting down. It has shut down two times today when I was not specifically doing something with a chart also, but it in not a repeating thing, so I cannot say exactly what I was doing at the time.

I cannot find anyone else having issues of Excel shutting when they were working on CHARTS, so I am hoping you can give me some suggestions?

Thanks, JL

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey JL,

I'm afraid I can't offer you any sort of a solution, however a good place to look for more information would be your Event Log.

Step 1 - Event Log/Viewer errors/warnings:
  • Click Start, select Run, type eventvwr and press OK
  • In the new window, look under the Application log for any errors and/or warnings (denoted by a red 'x' or a yellow '!', respectively) that occur around the time your Excel crashes (or exactly three minutes afterwards). If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning , and then copy/pasting the information from within.
You may also opt to look under the System log for errors/warnings that occur around that time, also.

This information may help to trace why your Excel is crashing. I presume you've tried the usual mumbo-jumbo.. make sure you have the latest updates installed for XP, office, etc.?

Out of curiosity, what happens when you restart your machine in Safe Mode and run Excel; still crash?

- Dan

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Try to repair Office application. Follow these steps:

Run the Detect and Repair Tool from Add or Remove Programs

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs, click Microsoft Office 2003, and then click Change.

3. In the Microsoft Office 2003 Setup dialog box, click Reinstall or Repair, and then click Next.

4. Click either Reinstall Office or Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation, and then click Install.