Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with XP

• Please log in to reply

Nipqer

Nipqer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
hello,

my mums laptop had some viruses on it and i ran a AVG scan on it and it got rid of all the infections except 1 which i needed to restart for, so i restarted it but now its not working anymore.

the laptop boots to the login screen and we can login and it displays the desktop backgrouind (no icons or taskbar) and plays the login noise but then logs straight back off.

any suggestions on what do to?

thanks

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try booting into safe mode
http://www.pchell.co.../safemode.shtml
Follow the directions from the link above and then run a scan with AVG.

Nipqer

Nipqer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
also when i insert a XP install cd and boot from it to try repair the installation it starts loading the disk then an error message pops up

"a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

if this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check to be sure you have adequate disk space. if a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. try changing video adapters.

check with your hardware vendor

for any BIOS updates. disable BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components restart your computer, press f8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF75DE0BF,0xF7A2A208,0xF7A29F08)

*** pci.sys - Address F75DE0BF base at F75D7000 DateStamp 3b7d855c
"

i cant boot into safe mode or any other mode

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Have you tries the repair function described in this post?
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Also try resetting your bios settings to the factory defaults.

Nipqer

Nipqer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yes i have tried that but it wont ley me get up to the point to choose whether to repair or install. it starts loading the disc then gives me that error message in my previous post

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If you have the XP install disc, you should just do a reformat and clean install of XP. Do you have a backup of your data? If you don't then there is a way to recover it. Let me know.

Nipqer

Nipqer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i dont have a backup. how can i recover it?

Nipqer

Nipqer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Have you tries the repair function described in this post?
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Also try resetting your bios settings to the factory defaults.

also, how do i reset the bios to factory defaults?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go to
http://www.ubuntu.co...ubuntu/download
Pick 32 or 64 bit in the box below. If you don't know which one pick 32 bit.
Download release 8.10

https://help.ubuntu....raphicalInstall
This page will help you with downloading Ubuntu

https://help.ubuntu....BurningIsoHowto
And this page will show you how to burn it to a disc.

Once you have burned it to a disc, boot up with it, like you would with a Windows Setup CD. In the menu with options like "Install Ubuntu" or "Test Memory" choose "Check CD for Defects"
Once it has completed, post back. I'm going to log off now, I'll be back 4:00 PM Pacific Time.

Nipqer

Nipqer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
alright i did all that, cd check found no defects

Advertisements

Nipqer

Nipqer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
well i went into ubuntu and managed to transfer some of the files my mum needs to an external storage.
my mum would like to backup all her outlook contacts, but i dont know where they are, any idea?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Is your Mums laptop Vista or XP?

also when i insert a XP install cd and boot from it to try repair the installation it starts loading the disk then an error message pops up

Are you sure you have set the bios to boot from CD?
If so, you should get a prompt (to the effect of) "to boot from CD hit any key".

To backup Outlook, I believe you need to have access to outlook or the operating system (which you do not).
HOW TO BACKUP OUTLOOK

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

also, how do i reset the bios to factory defaults?

To set the fail safe defaults in most BIOS versions, enter the BIOS setup...press F5, then press F10 to save and exit.

Is (or was as the case may be) the system restore feature turned on? If if was, we may be able to restore an old system registry hive using recovery console.

The error you're getting is usually related to drivers. Have you installed anything recently...either software or hardware?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right, backup your files, and Outlook. Also try setting your bios to fail safe defaults as told in the posts above, and make sure the bios is set to boot from CD.

Edited by edge2022, 26 March 2009 - 04:24 PM.

Nipqer

Nipqer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Is your Mums laptop Vista or XP?

Are you sure you have set the bios to boot from CD?
If so, you should get a prompt (to the effect of) "to boot from CD hit any key".

To backup Outlook, I believe you need to have access to outlook or the operating system (which you do not).
HOW TO BACKUP OUTLOOK

my mums laptop is XP.
when i tried booting form the XP cd, it did pop up with 'to boot from cd press any key' and it starts loading all the files, then pops up with the error message.

if i copy everything over to an external hard drive, then move it back to the laptop once ive restored it, would outlook be able to get all her contacts back?