Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question re: a video card upgrade

• Please log in to reply

truepubstar

truepubstar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all

I was planning to upgrade my video card (GeForce 9400), and was looking at a 9800. My motherboard is old and pretty cramped for space, so I wanted to go with one that's only 1 slot high, but still get good performance. Some of the EVGA models look perfect for this, but they're too long. My current card is about 7 inches long. The cards I'm looking at are about 9 inches long. about 1 inch behind my PCIe slot, there are some cylinders coming out of my motherboard that would just barely interfere with the new card. Looking at the EVGA's, it *seems* like the black metal fan case is just for show (at least at the back, not around the fan). My question is, would it be possible to cut away part of the back of the fan case to allow it to fit? I'll post a link of the card I'm looking at.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130435

From the pictures on newegg, it seems like behind the case on the rear end, is a short amount of space where there is nothing on the chip. As I said, the cylinders on my mobo just barely jut out past where the card would be. The mobo is model number C51GU01, and is an AMD compatible mobo. (not sure if that helps). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also a picture of this card looking straight down its length would help me to see what obstructions there might be. Finally, if these aren't options, I'd be interested in any cards that would give similar performance and still fit my mobo, if anybody has suggestions for this.

Thanks very much :)

Advertisements