Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winks

• Please log in to reply

avatube

avatube

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all
I am in the process of installing Winks and have read everything I can find on the subject. Have followed instructions to the letter. No problems until I get to the point where I right click on one of the Winks click Open and a small window comes up telling me that:-Program not found - Windows cannot find shortcut to mcoinstall.exe.lnk. This program is needed for opening files of type MCO file. It then asks for location of shortcut to mcoinstall.exe.lnk which as far as I know does not exist. Have gone through the procedure several times of removing and reinstalling but to no avail. Don't know why it puts .lnk on the end. Would welcome all suggestions please.
I am running Windows 98SE on AMD Duron 900Mhz processor.

Advertisements

Guest_matthuffy_*

Guest_matthuffy_*

Hi all
I am in the process of installing Winks and have read everything I can find on the subject. Have followed instructions to the letter. No problems until I get to the point where I right click on one of the Winks click Open and a small window comes up telling me that:-Program not found - Windows cannot find shortcut to mcoinstall.exe.lnk.  This program is needed for opening files of type MCO file. It then asks for location of shortcut to mcoinstall.exe.lnk which as far as I know does not exist.  Have gone through the procedure several times of removing and reinstalling but to no avail. Don't know why it puts .lnk on the end. Would welcome all suggestions please.
I am running Windows 98SE on AMD Duron 900Mhz processor.

View Post

That has nothing to do with the installer, but there are other viruses out there that can do that to your PC (changing all exe to inc) just hope you have not got this!!!!!

all that i suggest is to do a full virus scan of your computer and then put the MCOINATALLER o your desktop again and start from the begining!

avatube

avatube

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your prompt response to my problem. No trouble with virus scan. I appear to have everything there to make this thing work but just don't understand why I should get the extra extension ".lnk" (link?).
One thing I didn't mention before was I also got MCOINSTALL.RAR on one of downloads. Need to do some reading on that one as it seems rather complicated. But for now it's back to the drawing board. Will let you know the end result. Thanks again.

avatube

avatube

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Have downloaded 'wink installer setup' and 'winks download'. Still came up with the same error message:-MCOINSTALL.EXE.LNK. There is obviously some little gremlin in my system somewhere so I think I will forget about it for now and get on with something else. Once again thank you very much for your help.

Guest_matthuffy_*

Guest_matthuffy_*

Have downloaded 'wink installer setup' and 'winks download'. Still came up with the same error message:-MCOINSTALL.EXE.LNK.  There is obviously some little gremlin in my system somewhere so I think I will forget about it for now and get on with something else. Once again thank you very much for your help.

View Post

no prob, good luck! but take my advice on really checking your comp for any virus! i have had something like this happen a few months ago and i ended up with every .exe turning into .lnk which gave me no choice but to format my C: even the system restore in dos did not work as it is an exe.

so, be warned that i did tell you before it happened :tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

...all that i suggest is to do a full virus scan of your computer and then put the MCOINATALLER o your desktop again and start from the begining!

I certainly hope he listens to you and does a virus scan with more than one or two anti-virus utilities. There are plenty of free scans online available which GTG has recommended be used.

Having a .lnk added to an *.exe file is suspicious enough and possibly a good case of not keeping up with critical updates for IE/OE as well as the Win 98 O/S, plus not using a firewall to monitor what programs are trying to access the "Net or pinging your PC to find an open port. Even then, they get you!

Ron

avatube

avatube

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Guys! I am running Trend Micro Internet Security 2005 and update every day with latest pattern files etc..Scan everything daily. Trends firewall is active.
Microsoft updates are current as is everything else as I do regular checks for new stuff. Of course that is not to say some sneaky bug didn't get through the system but I don't see any other indication that this is so. I have not tried any other antivirus, will do that. Have had a look in the registry to see if anything is marked to "run" that shouldn't but nothing obvious. If I do find anything will certainly let you guys know. Any more suggestions welcome. Very strange. Thanks again.

avatube

avatube

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Solved my problem with the winks. Didn't think of it before but found I was able to
drop the winks onto MCO Installer on the desktop and they installed without any
problem. Being away from the computer for a few days must have cleared my
head. Thanks again.

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Good job with it. Hope you can put them to good use.

Guest_matthuffy_*

Guest_matthuffy_*

Good job with it. Hope you can put them to good use.

View Post

so many problems, even when there isn't one :tazz:

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Yeh