Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Pentium III (Tualatin) a worthy upgrade from Celeron 1.0 Gig?

• Please log in to reply

superbob

superbob

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi just joined! :) I have an emachines t1105:

Part Category Description Part Number
CPU Fan Type: fc-pga370 - cpu fan 947
Power Supply: ATX-1523D - 150w power supply 1451
CPU: Celeron 1.0 Gig CPEMINCL1543
MB: Anaheim-3 810 Rev. F - motherboard MBEM1858AN3F
Memory: 256 MB PC133 1439
Video: Intel Direct AGP 3D shared memory Built-In
Prim CD Model: SW-212/TGW(P001) CDRW CDEM1442RW12
HDD: 20GB Hard Drive HDEM548IDE20
FDD Model: SFD-321B/LTGNC - floppy drive FDEM1329SFD3
Modem: 56K V.92 ready Conexant PCI modem 1447
Keyboard Model: KB-2971 std - keyboard 687
0S: T1105 - Win XP 1502
Mouse: M-S35 - mouse 1449
Speaker: Speakers w/amp 1562
Bezel: Verna A grey

It has Anaheim-3 810 Rev. F motherboard, which has a Socket 370 and a Celeron 1.0 Gig. I went to this website here:
http://www.cpu-world...20(PGA370).html

It lists some other cpus compatible with this socket. I see that the Pentium III (Tualatin)
http://www.cpu-world...(Tualatin).html

is the fastest of the compatible ones. My question are:
1.Will this cpu be compatible with my motherboard (power supply, ghz, etc..)
2. Is it worth it to replace with this chip, is the speed all that big of a difference?

Thanks for looking.

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
What is your budget?
The way pricing goes these days, it may cost you more for the upgrade parts, than it would to buy a new machine. Parts pricing goes through stages, new technolgy VERY high, A large number of the population is buying it= reasonable, Older technology = ridiculous .

Before upgrading your CPU you should double your memory.
Your motherboard supports up to 512MB

superbob

superbob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply isimaster. However, my question is irrelevant to price, budget, and newer/older technology, but about performance & compatibility. How much better my computer will perform with this new cpu was one of my questions, assuming I max out everything else like memory (512mb). Also by the links I supplied it had some info about certain cpus not working in this socket even though they'll fit, so I wanted to make sure that this cpu will work with my motherboard.

Edited by superbob, 26 March 2009 - 06:57 AM.

pcpubay

pcpubay

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Where are you planning on getting the CPU from?

superbob

superbob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Internet

pcpubay

pcpubay

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
LOL, I have quite a few coppermine cores and tualatin cores if your interested, cheap $5-$10.

superbob

superbob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no one can answer my question?

pertsavk

pertsavk

• Pip
  • 6 posts

no one can answer my question?

OK, a quickie from another newcomer. If you currently have a Celeron 1GHz, it really is worth upgrading to a Tualatin.
First, some backgroud. The Tualatins are the last and most efficient P3 class CPU's ever made. A P3 Tualatin would beat up a P4 running at the same clockspeed. There are two types of Tualatin processors, first the Tualatin Celerons whose clock speed is 1000, 1133, 1200, 1333 or 1400 MHz. Their level 2 cache is 256kB (as is the Pentium 3 Coppermines') and then there is the Pentium 3 Tualatin, whose speed is 1133, 1266 or 1400 MHz and level 2 cache is 512 kB. The Tualtins have been made using newer technique producing less power-hungry CPU's and so they also dissipate less heat. If you are into overclocking, they also overclock a lot better.
A look back: the Celeron you currently have has a L2 cache of 128kB. The larger cache of the Tualatins make them (in this case) more efficient and faster at the same clock speed than their Coppermine cousins. There are some other enhancements in the internals of the Tualatin CPU's compared to Coppermines and other P3 processors. Putting all this together and knowing the price which should be a few euros over here and a couple of bucks in the US you should get one if you can - unless you are about to upgrade your system in less than a week. As another member already pointed out, you should probably add some more RAM as well.

From personal experience, I had a 1GHz P3 Coppermine (so not even a Celeron like you) which was replaced by a 1,266GHz P3S Tualatin. It was worth it, the system is (yes, still alive and kicking) a lot snappier and cooler. The price? A few miles of driving, two phone calls, a few coins and that's it. Oh, and some thermal compund, too.