Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is it safe to disable DECOM Service Process Launcher

• Please log in to reply

ZoneIII

ZoneIII

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Windows XP/SP3 - all up-to-date. Was orignally XP Home but I upgraded to MS Office so I'm assuming it's actually XP Pro now.

I posted a previous question about my PC freezing. Rather than repeating what I have done, what has been suggested by the helpful people here and other information, here is a link to my previous post: http://www.geekstogo...rr-t233050.html

When my PC freezes (usually for a couple minutes), I receive the following error in Event Viewer:
"The server {00024500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout."

Searching the registers for the character string in the above error message shows that the problem is related to MS Excel which I have but never use. I have no idea why Excel would be trying to access something (if that is what it is actually doing - I don't really understand DCOM). I don't even have an Excel documents on my PC as far as I know. I didn't have this problem until about a month ago.

I got some good suggestions but, unfortunately, I still have the problem. I have been pulling out the little bit of hair I have left over this problem for about a month now.

At some point, I wondered if I could just disable DCOM Service Process Launcher. But the info I found on that is contradictory. Some say you absolutely have to leave it running or face disaster or find that almost nothing will work on your system. Others like the folks who wrote DCOMbobulator http://www.grc.com/freeware/dcom.htm claim that almost everyone should definitely disable it and that it is not only useless for the vast majority of users but also a security risk. :) Black Viper and similar sites recommend leaving it on Automatic. Some sources say that it is very difficult to disable it even if you want to and MS's instructions for doing so are very complicated and involved. However, out of frustration with this problem, I finally just went to Services and disabled it last night just like any other service. It stays disabled when the PC Is re-booted despite other info that says it won't. So far today, I have not experienced the problem I have been having and everything seems to be working fine. Of course, I wouldn't know if, say, Automatic Windows Updates wasn't running or something else like that.

Is it safe to have DCOM Service Process Launcher disabled? Is there anything that won't work with it disabled that I may not be seeing? (I am not on a network. My PC is stand-alone.) I realize that disabling this service is not really fixing the root problem that I am experiencing but after a month of trying to find a solution to the problem, I'm at my wits end.

Edited by ZoneIII, 26 March 2009 - 07:53 AM.

Advertisements

ZoneIII

ZoneIII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well, since posting the above question, I opened a Word Document and got a pop-up message saying that he file wasn't registered and that I couldn't link to it with another application (or something like that). A quick Internet search showed that to be caused by having DCOM SPL disabled. I'm not sure if that's really a problem because I can't think of any time that I have linked a document to something else but it could be and I may have other problems that I am not aware of too by disabling DCOM SPL. So I set it back to Automatic and I'm back to square one. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi there, I'm a member also and just going to offer some choices.
First of all if you have system restore you might try to restore to before the problem started.
Second go to your event viewer and see what the offending application is
I'm sure others will offer help also as we go
Also have you been in the malware forum to have the great techs there check and see if you have a virus or malware?

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 March 2009 - 08:28 AM.