Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to activate onboard video card?

• Please log in to reply

danny251

danny251

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I have NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT and I am currently connecting to this for my main monitor.
I would like to somehow extend the picture onto my HD TV.
I have an Acer M25201 and it has a HDMI port built in the motherboard but as the onboard graphics are disabled I cant see any picture when connected to the TV. Is there any way to use both the GFX card and built in motherboard one?

Cheers

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
An appropriate option may be in the system BIOS.
Not all boards will let you use a separate card and the onboard graphics at the same time.

danny251

danny251

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
It will only let me select one at a time I think

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
My parents computer can do this and this is how I have done it. They have a Dell Dimension 2350, specs in my signature.

Go to Start >> Control Panel >> Double Click System >> Choose the Hardware tab >> Device Manager >> Expand Display Adapters >> Right Click on the onboard video adapter >> Select Enable.

Your Computer may bring up an install Wizard, just follow the wizard and install the card.

Turn off your computer

Then, Hook which monitor you want to which video card. And, Start the computer.

If you want the exact same image on both screens you are done.

If you want to be able to drag windows to and from each monitor, and/or have seperate windows open on different monitors Go to...

Start >> Control Panel >> Double Click Display >> Select the Settings Tab >> Click on the box to the left there should be two of them. Now make sure you have "use this device as my primary monitor" checked and also have "Extend Windows Desktop to this monitor" checked.

Now, click on the box to the right (the second monitor) and make sure you have "Extend Windows Desktop to this monitor" checked.

Click Apply, your screens may flicker and or go off for a second but don't worry, that is normal. If asked, say you want to keep these settings if you are prompted.

Click Ok, close everything out. Test to make sure you can drag a not fully maximized window/program to and from each monitor.

If your start button and task bar is on the wrong monitor, then go back into the Display Settings and choose the opposite box you have selected for the "Primary Monitor".

Let me know how it goes, or if you were even able to get the on-board adapter enabled.

Edit: If this doesn't work, you could probably pick up a graphics card that has dual heads, just hook both monitors to it and follow the same instructions as above. I believe my local computer store sells 6200 series for $25. Newegg.com I'm sure has some good deals on cards that are the same series as what you already have and/or better.

Edited by Ferrari, 26 March 2009 - 09:32 PM.

danny251

danny251

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for the reply mate and the effort in typing that all!"
I looked in device manager and it only has my PCI gfx card in display adapters.
:)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
OH I see,

Did you go to the device manager and right click on display adapters. Then select scan for hardware changes? If that doesn't work, then I don't know.

Sorry,

danny251

danny251

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Tried that no luck man.
I can select either or graphics adapters in the BIOS but not both so looks like Acer are idiots for claiming it has HDMI out!!
False advertising right there