Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GeForce 8400 GS

• Please log in to reply

skeefe

skeefe

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a emachine and the vidoe card just stopped working. The video card is part of the mother board. I went and got this GeForce 8400 GS and installed it but I can not get it to work because I have to enable the orginal video card but I can not do that with out the screen to see what I'm doing. Is there anyway that I can do this or is the CPU no go anymore unless I get a whole new mother board? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Skeefe

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo
I hope I may be of some help to you.

I'm going to need more information
CPU brand and model
Motherboard make and model
RAM speed and size
Hdd size and interface Ide/sata
Cd\Dvd rom and interface Ide\sata
Powersupply wattage.

I have a emachine and the vidoe card just stopped working. The video card is part of the mother board. I went and got this GeForce 8400 GS and installed it but I can not get it to work because I have to enable the orginal video card but I can not do that with out the screen to see what I'm doing. Is there anyway that I can do this or is the CPU no go anymore unless I get a whole new mother board? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When you boot up is the light on the monitor changing it status at all?

Have you installed any new hardware or software.

Check all connections from the power in the wall to every peripheral item.

Make sure all cooling fans are fully operational.

Make sure your ram is seated firmly in their DIMMS (slots)

if everything looks good reboot the computer during the startup strike the insert key continuously it may "reset" the computer if you want to call it that.

Give that a try and let me know what happens. This doesn't involve your new video card as of yet

Cbarnard

skeefe

skeefe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm going to need more information
CPU brand and model: The CPU is a AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor with AMD 64 Technology
Motherboard make and model: Where would I find This Information?
RAM speed and size: 512 MB DDR (1 X 512 MB) 400 MHz (pc 3200)
Hdd size and interface Ide/sata: Where would I find this Information
Cd\Dvd rom and interface Ide\sata: ?
Powersupply wattage. ?

When I boot up the light on the monitor just flashes.
I have not installed any new programs or hardware.
I checked all the connections any everything is fine.
The fan was working fine.
I tried to restart the computer by striking the insert key and nothing happened.

The computer is a emachine T6534 desktop.
If you will let me know where I can get the other information I can get it for you. Any help that you can give me to try will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Skeefe

Hey thanks for the reply,
Please copy and paste your message to me as a reply to the topic you started HERE please, this helps other see what is going on, So they may ether assist, or see it to help themselves if they have the same problem...
Thank you
Cbarnard

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Ok lets take a look at everything.

Did you purchase this unit brand new? Assuming you have not performed any upgrades to it, I have most of the information about your computer.

I just need you while performing the steps below to look at your Hard drive and Cd drive
Is there a wide ribbon wire plugged into the back of them if this is the case you have an IDE interface
If it is not a wide ribbon but a wire a little bigger than a phone line you have a SATA interface please let me know about this on your next reply.

Continue with the next steps please

Please make sure you have powered down the computer and have dry hands Ground yourself to the tower by touching bare metal with your hand (you need to stay in contact with the metal so you don't create a static electric discharge) if that happens it can fry parts on your board.

You need to remove the left side panel (as you look at the front of the tower)

We need to reset the CMOS

Down in the lower right hand side of your motherboard you will see a battery please remove the battery. Immediately to the left of the battery is a small button press said button for 5 sec. then release. After 30sec to 1 min place the battery back into the slot for it on the mother board

Now put the cover back on the computer and reboot.

While it is rebooting strike the delete key this will bring you in to the BIOS, Don't touch anything in here unless told to do so.
Enter Standard CMOS Features then Re-adjust the Date and time then hit f10 when it prompts to save select ok then it will exit the BIOS and reboot.

Let it boot up, this should have reset the motherboard allowing it to reboot.

Try this and let me know how it worked

Cbarnard

skeefe

skeefe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, the computer was bought new and no upgrades have been done. It is a IDE interface with the wide ribbons.
I took the battery out and looked to the left and the only button I seen was a black button that looked like it was attached to a chip of some sort and it also had another button on the upper right hand corner. Can you let me know what this button looks like? I did press it and held it for 5 sec and then I waited a minute and installed the battery. I rebooted while striking the delete key and nothing happened the monitor screen just blinked.

Skeefe

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Ok go to this link here

This is the manual for your MOBO download it, then open it and scroll down to page 19. In the lower right corner SW1 is the reset button I was talking about.

Try again with the reset but do it this way instead:

Perform a hard reset to clear any BIOS stack corruption issues.

1. Shut the system down
2. Remove the power cord
3. Remove the CMOS Battery
4. Press the sw1 and hold while completing step 5
5. Press the power button for 10 seconds
6. Let sit for 10 minutes
7. Insert the CMOS Battery
8. Insert the Power Cord
9. Restart the system
10. Enter the BIOS
11. Load Default Settings
12. set date and time again
13. Save Default Settings and Exit
14. Restart the System

let me know how this works :)

Cbarnard

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard

skeefe

skeefe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm sorry its been one of those weeks.
Ok I have tried what you said. There is a problem though. I looked at the page on my mother board and I see where the sw1 is located. But there is no buttome. I did press on the spot and held in the power button like said and did everything else but nothing happened. I even tried it with the new viedo card installed and still nothing. If you have any other suggestions I would be very greatful
Thank You
Skeefe

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

I'm sorry its been one of those weeks.
Ok I have tried what you said. There is a problem though. I looked at the page on my mother board and I see where the sw1 is located. But there is no buttome. I did press on the spot and held in the power button like said and did everything else but nothing happened. I even tried it with the new viedo card installed and still nothing. If you have any other suggestions I would be very greatful
Thank You
Skeefe

Hey its ok everyone has one of those weeks.

I'm having one right now... Was using one of my desktops, working fine, walked away came back and my computer was dead, so No I have to fix that... Thats the day and life of me :) anyways, to help you

Your computer is powering up all fans and HDD yes?

Please make sure that your system only has the bare minimums attached right now.

Nothing installed in the pci ports or other expansion ports.

Any cd\dvd rom other than primary removed

any HDD other than Primary Boot removed,

Remove all ram from the MOBO, Check all ram installed please make sure it is all the same size, and speed

Then take 1 ram module and put it in to the port closest to the CPU make sure it is seated correctly,(it only fits one way)

Please unplug everything from the rear ports (printers, scanners, Ethernet, etc...) with exception to power keyboard and mouse, and obviousily video output cable.

Now we will perform a hard reset once more:

1. Shut the system down
2. Remove the power cord
3. Remove the CMOS Battery
4. Press the sw1 and hold while completing step 5
5. Press the power button for 10 seconds
6. Let sit for 10 minutes
7. Insert the CMOS Battery
8. Insert the Power Cord
9. Restart the system
10. Enter the BIOS
11. Load Default Settings
12. set date and time again
13. Save Default Settings and Exit
14. Restart the System

Hopefully this will work:

Please let me know

Goodluck

Cbarnard

skeefe

skeefe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, The fans do come on when I power up the system but what is HDD. The system sound like it all ways did when it started up. I did everything like you said but it still will not start up. Any other suggestions?
Thank you
Skeefe

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
HDD is the hard drive

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Sorry Skeefe about HDD

Thank you Rshaffer61 for clearing that up, I thought I explained that term earlier in the thread

Skeefe
Since you didn't know what HDD was please complete the instructions again if you have more than one HDD installed if not:

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case witch could be a possibility

Install the cpu with heatsink and fan, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, psu, video card, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board. You should also remove old thermal paste and replace with a thin layer on new thermal paste, but not to much that is oozes out, a thin layer is all that is needed. To much and it will retain more heat than transfer it.

Let me know how this works
cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 08 April 2009 - 11:02 AM.

skeefe

skeefe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry rshaffer61 didn't know I was sending it to you just thought I was adding to reply.

Ok, I have done everything like you have listed. The computer will turn on and the fans work and it sounds like the hard drive is running but there is still nothing on the monitor. For some reason the video card will not work and I can not disable the old video card without the monitor working. This is a real pain.
Any other suggestions other than throwing it out.

Thank you
Skeefe

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With the results you are showing Skeefe then the obvious conclusion is that the motherboard is bad. There are two options you can do
We can try to find a replacement mb of the same type and replace it
or
Start fresh with a new mb and build a new system using all the hardware we can from your existing system

First though you should try to call emachines and see if they can get you a replacement mb and what the cost will be.
Then reply here and we can see what if anything we can do about the second option and making it cost effective for you.

Go Here and the phone number is listed on the page to call for support. Let us know when you have the information and what you would like to do. We will be happy to assist you either way. Just post in this topic and we will get back asap

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Install the cpu with heatsink and fan, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, psu, video card, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on

I'm sorry about this, I just realized I wrote video card in the above direction. I meant for you to remove it. To just try the onboard video.

If you repeat the steps I noted from my previous post and do not install the video card, and it doesn't work. Then I believe you will need to purchase a new mother board.

If you do that I would upgrade to current a motherboard, CPU, and Ram

Rather than keep spend the money and keep the computer in the past... IE just replace the MOBO to be compatible with your current CPU, and Ram setup.

If an upgrade is for you just post back and we will assist you

Good luck

Cbarnard