Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ISAPNP.SYS is corrupted -- Cannot Replace or Reformat Windows

• Please log in to reply

brf132

brf132

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys...
I have been searching around for some information on how to fix this problem, and the only thing I can think of is that it has to be a hardware problem. I am much more of a software guy, and have reformatted probably 50 different computers using WinXP. People bring their computers to me when they have no other hope, and normally I back up what files I can, and then wipe the system clean and start from scratch. Currently, I am working with a Dell Latitude D820, and have run into some problems that I have never had before. I put the XP OS disk in the CD-RW/DVD drive, and try to boot from CD drive. It brings me into the normal blue windows setup screen, but when it starts loading, it never gets to the point where I can repair, delete/reinstall, or exit. It gets through a couple of the loading things and then says "The file isapnp.sys is corrupted. Press any key to continue" When you press any key, it just takes you back to the boot menu and allows you to boot up. The machine boots up, but it is so riddled with virii that it really is time to just go ahead and start over with a fresh HD. I was thinking it MAY be a faulty CDRW drive, but I'm not sure. The computer recognizes that there is a disk in the CD drive, and will open the user interface to 'install windows' (this is from either safe mode or normal boot mode) but if you click install windows, nothing happens. Same goes for if I try to do system restore back a couple of months. Nothing happens, you can select the date and just keep clicking next and nothing ever happens. If anyone has been here before, it would be much appreciated if you could help me out with this problem. Feel free to email [email protected] with your replies.

Advertisements

brf132

brf132

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh, and also, I took the System32 folder off of my laptop, which has valid ISAPNP.SYS and pasted it onto the faulty laptop. Still has a corrupted file. Could this be a RAM issue? Again, not much of a hardware guy, more of a software fellow.

Subodh Vinzanekar

Subodh Vinzanekar

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I think its your CD problem, Put another Windows Xp CD if you have, or borrow from your freind or neighbour and try it. I think it should work.

brf132

brf132

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I first looked at the XP disk that was given to me from the friend's computer, it looked fine...After I read your post, I went and took the disk out to examine the back of it...Of course, it was scratched, and had messy stuff all over it. Put a new disk in, and so far it seems to be working fine. Amazing, thanks! Can't believe I didn't think to try that before posting here...

Subodh Vinzanekar

Subodh Vinzanekar

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
oh thats cool.. yeah such error occurs only when the sensor of CD Drive dont able to read the data from your CD due to even single scratch or messy stuff. Hope your installation completes smoothly. I think you are too new here like me.. is there any place we can chat in this forum?

brf132

brf132

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Honestly I wish I could help you. There is a link for 'Live Chat' at the top of the page (black navi bar under the G2G logo)...but today was my first ever post, and I probably won't be back very often...

Subodh Vinzanekar

Subodh Vinzanekar

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
thanks a lot, yeah i saw.