Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware Removal[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hi again!

What exactly happens/does not happen when you go into your Properties and try to change your backgroud? For instance, right click on your desktop, and choose Properties. Then click on the "Desktop" tab, and select a background and apply it. What happens? Does it just not apply??

Advertisements

pueblox

pueblox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok SO I read this similar thread on this forum and found a solution to the wallpaper issue. It stated as follows:

Found the fix on Cnet by Googling the last part of the text of the wallpaper hijacker:

1. Goto Control Panel;
2. Select Display;
3. Select Desktop tab;
4. Click on the Customize Desktop button;
5. Select Web tab;
6. Uncheck or delete whatever seems to be suspicious in the WEBPAGE box

I deleted a Security entry and all is well with wallpaper...for now...we'll see

In response to your question. in desktop just changing your desktop image is not enough. t changes but it lies behind the grey/white background waiting for that to be removed.

SO my wallpaper issue is fine. :tazz: Now I just want to clean everything up so I can enable system restore. Thank you for your help.

Edited by pueblox, 15 May 2005 - 11:46 AM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
ok well let's see a last HJT log!! You *should* be all cleaned up and good to go now!!

I'm glad you got the wallpaper issue figured out! Way to go! :tazz:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
After reading through your Silent Runners log again, it was pointed out to me that you have a password stealing trojan running on your computer. I'm not sure why TrojanHunter did not pick up on this! :tazz:

Let's get rid of this for you!

Please download the Killbox.
Unzip it to the desktop but do NOT run it yet.
  • Then please reboot into Safe Mode by restarting your computer and pressing F8 as your computer is booting up. Then select the Safe Mode option.
  • Once in Safe Mode, please run Killbox.
  • Select "Delete on Reboot".
  • Open the text file with these instructions in it, and copy the file names below to the clipboard by highlighting them and pressing Control-C:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrta.dll
  • Return to Killbox, go to the File menu, and choose "Paste from Clipboard".
  • Click the red-and-white "Delete File" button. Click "Yes" at the Delete on Reboot prompt. Click "No" at the Pending Operations prompt.
Then please reboot, and post a fresh HJT log and a new Silent Runners log for review!

pueblox

pueblox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Thank you for your help. My latest HiJack This logfile follows:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:06:26 PM, on 5/15/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperWorkstation\DKService.exe
C:\Spyware Tools\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Spyware Tools\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-watch.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Action Setup\VAServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\Belkin 802.11g Wireless PCI Card Configuration Utility\utility.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HiJack This\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = about:blank
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\SPYWAR~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-watch] C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-watch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pop3trap.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2000\Pop3trap.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WebTrapNT.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2000\WebTrapNT.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\evntsvc.exe -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: VAIO Action Setup (Server).lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Belkin 802.11g Wireless PCI Card Configuration Utility.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: SEARCH_PAGE_URL=
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.syma...bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1114492413140
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.syma...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O23 - Service: AOL Spyware Protection Service (AOLService) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\\aolserv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperWorkstation\DKService.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Spyware Tools\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Spyware Tools\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe

My latest Silent Runners log follows:

"Silent Runners.vbs", revision 36, http://www.silentrunners.org/
Operating System: Windows XP SP2
Output limited to non-default values, except where indicated by "{++}"

Startup items buried in registry:
---------------------------------

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ {++}
"ctfmon.exe" = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe" [MS]

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ {++}
"Ad-watch" = "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-watch.exe" ["Lavasoft Sweden"]
"Microsoft Works Update Detection" = "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe" [file not found]
"Pop3trap.exe" = ""C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2000\Pop3trap.exe"" [file not found]
"WebTrapNT.exe" = ""C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2000\WebTrapNT.exe"" [file not found]
"QuickTime Task" = ""C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime" ["Apple Computer, Inc."]
"TkBellExe" = "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\evntsvc.exe -osboot" [file not found]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\
>{881dd1c5-3dcf-431b-b061-f3f88e8be88a}\(Default) = "Outlook Express"
\StubPath = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shmgrate.exe OCInstallUserConfigOE" [MS]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\
{06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}\(Default) = "AcroIEHlprObj Class" [from CLSID]
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx" [empty string]
{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}\(Default) = (no title provided)
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\SPYWAR~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll" ["Safer Networking Limited"]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved\
"{42071714-76d4-11d1-8b24-00a0c9068ff3}" = "Display Panning CPL Extension"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "deskpan.dll" [file not found]
"{88895560-9AA2-1069-930E-00AA0030EBC8}" = "HyperTerminal Icon Ext"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\hticons.dll" ["Hilgraeve, Inc."]
"{E6FB5E20-DE35-11CF-9C87-00AA005127ED}" = "WebCheck"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrta.dll" [file not found]
"{F0CB00CD-5A07-4D91-97F5-A8C92CDA93E4}" = "Shell Extensions for RealOne Player"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpshell.dll" ["RealNetworks, Inc."]
"{0006F045-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}" = "Microsoft Outlook Custom Icon Handler"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Office10\OLKFSTUB.DLL" [MS]
"{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}" = "Microsoft Office HTML Icon Handler"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Office10\msohev.dll" [MS]
"{1CDB2949-8F65-4355-8456-263E7C208A5D}" = "Desktop Explorer"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvshell.dll" ["NVIDIA Corporation"]
"{1E9B04FB-F9E5-4718-997B-B8DA88302A47}" = "Desktop Explorer Menu"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvshell.dll" ["NVIDIA Corporation"]
"{E0D79304-84BE-11CE-9641-444553540000}" = "WinZip"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\WZSHLSTB.DLL" ["WinZip Computing, Inc."]
"{E0D79305-84BE-11CE-9641-444553540000}" = "WinZip"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\WZSHLSTB.DLL" ["WinZip Computing, Inc."]
"{E0D79306-84BE-11CE-9641-444553540000}" = "WinZip"
"{E0D79307-84BE-11CE-9641-444553540000}" = "WinZip"
"{640167b4-59b0-47a6-b335-a6b3c0695aea}" = "Portable Media Devices"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Audiodev.dll" [MS]
"{cc86590a-b60a-48e6-996b-41d25ed39a1e}" = "Portable Media Devices Menu"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Audiodev.dll" [MS]
"{EBDF1F20-C829-11D1-8233-FF20AF3E97A9}" = "TrojanHunter Menu Shell Extension"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRA~1\TROJAN~1.2\contmenu.dll" [null data]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\
INFECTION WARNING! "{54D9498B-CF93-414F-8984-8CE7FDE0D391}" = "ewido shell guard"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Spyware Tools\security suite\shellhook.dll" ["TODO: <Firmenname>"]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad\
"WebCheck" = "{E6FB5E20-DE35-11CF-9C87-00AA005127ED}"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrta.dll" [file not found]

Enabled Screen Saver:
---------------------

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\
"SCRNSAVE.EXE" = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\ssstars.scr" [MS]

Enabled Wallpaper and Active Desktop:
-------------------------------------

Active Desktop is enabled.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General\
"Wallpaper" = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Wallpaper1.bmp"

Startup items in "ADRIAN" & "All Users" startup folders:
--------------------------------------------------------

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
"VAIO Action Setup (Server)" -> shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Action Setup\VAServ.exe" ["Sony Corporation"]
"Adobe Gamma Loader.exe" -> shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe" ["Adobe Systems, Inc."]
"Microsoft Office" -> shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\Office10\OSA.EXE -b -l" [MS]
"Belkin 802.11g Wireless PCI Card Configuration Utility" -> shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\Belkin\Belkin 802.11g Wireless PCI Card Configuration Utility\utility.exe" ["Belkin"]

Enabled Scheduled Tasks:
------------------------

"Registration reminder 2" -> launches: "C:\WINDOWS\System32\OOBE\oobebaln.exe /sys /r /n:2" [MS]

Winsock2 Service Provider DLLs:
-------------------------------

Namespace Service Providers

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\ {++}
000000000001\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll" [MS]
000000000002\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\winrnr.dll" [MS]
000000000003\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll" [MS]

Transport Service Providers

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9\Catalog_Entries\ {++}
0000000000##\PackedCatalogItem (contains) DLL [Company Name], (at) ## range:
%SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll [MS], 01 - 03, 06 - 17
%SystemRoot%\system32\rsvpsp.dll [MS], 04 - 05

Toolbars, Explorer Bars, Extensions:
------------------------------------

Explorer Bars

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\
{FE54FA40-D68C-11D2-98FA-00C0F0318AFE}\
-> {CLSID}\(Default) = "http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll" [MS]

Extensions (Tools menu items, main toolbar menu buttons)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\
{CD67F990-D8E9-11D2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE}\
"ButtonText" = "Real.com"

{FB5F1910-F110-11D2-BB9E-00C04F795683}\
"ButtonText" = "Messenger"
"MenuText" = "Windows Messenger"
"Exec" = "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" [MS]

Running Services (Display Name, Service Name, Path {Service DLL}):
------------------------------------------------------------------

Diskeeper, Diskeeper, "C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperWorkstation\DKService.exe" ["Executive Software International, Inc."]
ewido security suite control, ewido security suite control, "C:\Spyware Tools\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe" ["ewido networks"]
ewido security suite guard, ewido security suite guard, "C:\Spyware Tools\security suite\ewidoguard.exe" ["ewido networks"]
Machine Debug Manager, MDM, ""C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe"" [MS]
NVIDIA Display Driver Service, NVSvc, "C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe" ["NVIDIA Corporation"]
Windows User Mode Driver Framework, UMWdf, "C:\WINDOWS\System32\wdfmgr.exe" [MS]

----------
This report excludes default entries except where indicated.
To see *everywhere* the script checks and *everything* it finds,
launch it from a command prompt or a shortcut with the -all parameter.

Thank you once again. Start up has still been slow. AdWatch keeps blocking something trying to connect to ctfmon.exe and NvCplDaemon attempt to alter start up section. Idf you have any information on these please let me know.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
congratulations! :tazz: Both logs are now clean! How is everything running? Do you have any other questions??

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other necessary Programs:
  • AntiVirus Program<= An AntiVirus program is a must! Whether it is a free version like AVG or Anti-Vir, or a shareware version like Norton or Kapersky, this is a must have.
  • Firewall<= A firewall is definatley a must have. Two good free versions are Sygate and ZoneLabs.
  • More Secure Browser<= Internet Explorer is not the most secure and best browser. There are safer and better alternatives available. I recommend Firefox, however Opera and SlimBrowsers are good as well.
And also see TonyKlein's good advice
So how did I get infected in the first place? and AntiSpyware Net's spyware article: Spyware, Adware, Malware: What it is, how it got on my computer, how to get rid of it, and how to prevent it.

pueblox

pueblox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

Thank you for all your help and your review of my logs. My computer still has a very slow start up. It may be because I have dowloaded many of the tools suggested on this forum. The computer still has a funky start up that shows the desktop image and a few things on the bar at the bottom then it will flicker to an all black screen then it brings all my icons to the desktop as usual. I do not know if there is anything I can do about that. If you have anyadvice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Mine actually does that too! I have a three year old HP, with not much Memory. That sound to me like you are low on memory. You can either uninstall things you no longer use, or possibly look into adding a memory stick!

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.