Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sata DVD drive and nero

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure which forum this would fall under so I'm posting in Applications and here in Hardware.. I'm sure this is a setting somewhere that I'm missing. I have not worked with sata dvd drives so not sure about setting them up correctly.
This is not my system. I am working for a friend who lives 600 miles away. She just bought a barebones system from Tigerdirect and had another friend build it for her. Everything works except for this one annoying problem. She can play and\or listen to cd's and dvd's, but when she opens nero it does not recognize the sata dvd drive.
I have had her uninstall nero and even get a newer version of it. Still the same problem. Also she has tried Roxio and several other programs and still same problem. I have read 100's of tech reports and nothing exactly on this problem. I have been building, repairing, and custimizing systems for almost 12 years now but the sata dvd has me stumped.
I am posting here as she is not easy to understand and doesn't understand things unless she is given step by step instructions. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated and I will reply as soon as she lets me know if any fix works. Thank you in advance for your help

Edited by rshaffer61, 29 March 2009 - 08:01 AM.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hey Rshaffer61
I don't know I have a sata dvd and use nero, I haven't encountered that problem.
But a thought that crosses my mind is maybe a firmware update. I don't know thought I would throw that out there
Good luck
Cbarnard

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
Thanks Cbarnard.
I have found the three most common problems are
Firmware needs updated
a newer version of software
bios setting to change the mode of sata to emulate ide.

Never done a firmware update but I imagine it can't be any hardeer then flashing a bios
Nero update is not a problem
Bios setting on these newer mobo's I have never done but it can't be that hard.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
yea firmware update is pretty easy.
Just go to the manufacture site they will have the firmware update somewhere. follow the instructions for it they are all slightly different.
Good luck let me know how it turns out.:)
Cbarnard

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
Firmware update did not help
The problem is when she opens nero it does not allow her to burn
She says it doesn't see her sata dvd drive but when she runs the Nero infotools it sees it
When she puts files in the compilation window the burn icon does not light up like it should
Like I said she is hard to understand sometimes. I have read where there is a way in the bios to set the sata controllers to emulate ide
Have you heard of that?
Also she is running Nero 6.6.1.17 I believe it is

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Yea there is a way in the Bios to adjust it,,
have your friend reboot into bios, and then from there we can find where the setting is, I don't know the exact name of the tabs in the bios of your friends but if you tell me what they are I can do a step by step guide in to it Hopefully we get this figured out. I need to know all options on the screen to do it. Another way if you know the MOBO and Bios maker and Version I might be able to figure it out all at once.
Cbarnard

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
Biostar P4M900-M7FE

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
Hey cbarnard.
I think this is what we are looking for. It's interesting that it can emulate ide this way.

In your bios Setup, go to.....

Advanced - Onboard Devices Configuration -

Try disabling SATA DMA transfers for the controller the SATA DVD drive is connected to - that may make the SATA controller run in IDE mode (default is Enabled).
If you are not sure which one to disable, disable them all.

NVRAID - RAID must be disabled for the SATA header the DVD SATA drive is connected to (default is Disabled).

Save settings, reboot, try running Setup from the SATA DVD drive.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

In your bios Setup, go to.....

Advanced - Onboard Devices Configuration -

Try disabling SATA DMA transfers for the controller the SATA DVD drive is connected to - that may make the SATA controller run in IDE mode (default is Enabled).

NVRAID - RAID must be disabled for the SATA header the DVD SATA drive is connected to (default is Disabled).

Save settings, reboot, try running Setup from the SATA DVD drive.

I would try that and see how it works,

Please post back with results
Cbarnard

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
hmm I just noticed the last line in the instructions
since the os is already setup that line wouldn't be useful
This hopefully will trick Nero into thinking the sata dvd drive is actually ide and then can burn to it

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hmm very true I missed that line the others look like they are heading in the right direction
Cbarnard

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
Well I attempted to explain to her how to do this in the bios. She says she did it but Nero still does not allow her to burn.
I cannot get her to understand that we need to work on this constantly without interruptions to fix it.
This will probably take some time so I'm going to try and do some more investigating into it.
I cannot be assured she did the bios setup as instructed. :)

JGreig

JGreig

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey there - I am having the exact same problem. Did you find a solution for it? Nero won't recognise my drive - I used nero essentials 8 and just bought the downloadable version of Nero 9 - same problem with both versions. All other programmes detect it fine.
Cheers,
Jez

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
Yes it turned out that the writable side of the brand new drive was bad,
I had her send the drive back and had the company test it and they discovered the problem.
Play side worked great but write side was dead.