Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System Not found

• Please log in to reply

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Last week I suspected a virus on my machine. I posted logs in the malware section of geekstogo and was helped out by one of the great techs over there. After some work he deemed my logs clean. During this process my computer periodically got a "blue screen of death" but once the logs were clean it seemed to settle down and this was no longer an issue. I thought it was just related to the virus cleaning programs. Everytime I got this, windows would scan the harddisk as normal and then boot up into windows saying it recovered from a serious error.

Last night I got a "blue screen of death" but it didn't recover. As soon as it boots up I get the option of hitting F2 for the setup menu but right after that it was operating system not found. Can anyone help me? I never considered that Windows would just disapear I always thought I'd beable to recover or boot in safemode.

I'm running an Aspire 1692 laptop with windows XP home edition.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you post the exact error code you get when you encountered the BSOD. Do you have your XP setup CD?

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I'm sorry, I didn't write down the error code, and I'm kicking myself about the setup CD. I'm at school in Australia from Canada. I didn't bring the recovery CD's that come with the laptop because I've been able to use the copy of them thats on the harddrive. I never thought something like this would happen... Ussually I can hit F8 (i think) and enter a recovery console that has saved those recovery disks on the harddrive. I don't seem to get far enough in the boot up process to access this. Sorry if this is common knowledge for you but I don't have much experience outside of windows.

I realize I'm not able to offer much information, and I apoligize for that. If there is a way for me to find any of it for you just let me know what to do.

LANCE

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://tips.vlaurie....out-an-xp-disk/

Go to this site and download the package
http://vlaurie.com/c..._console_cd.zip

Once downloaded it had instructions on how to burn it to a disc. This will give you the recovery console.
I have never tried this before, so I don't know much on creating the CD, it seems simple though.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You will also need a file from MS.
Download it from here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Make sure you download the XP SP2 Home or Professional

Then follow the instructions in readme.htm

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Okay, so I've got some issues. Well one really.

I downloaded both files, followed the readme, and used them to make a new ISO for the bootdisk that i burned to a new dvd.
i changed by bios to load cd/dvd first before harddrive

then i rebooted. I no longer get the "operating system not found" message
I don't get any message
it passes the bios and then goes to a full black screen with a underscore flashing in the top left
I can't type anything, I can't seem to do anything at all.

Suggestions now?

Thanks again for the help

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go to your bios settings and switch to the fail safe factory defaults.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
nothing changes...

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
The problem is with the CD you made, it isn't loading the recovery console. I have to run out for an hour or so, I'll check in when I return to see if someone jumped in to help you out.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.imgburn.com/

Go here and download the software, it's free. Then go here, and download the file.
http://www.wikiuploa...e.php?id=110630

I have premade a disc image for you. Open it using Imgburn and burn to a CD at a very slow speed (1X)

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I want to thank you for your help, but i brought the comp in to the local computer shop. I really think it's a fried harddrive and they're going to figure it out for me.

Thanks again

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Your harddrive died?
Some data recovery may be possible.
Hope the shop can resolve your problem :)