Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with build

• Please log in to reply

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Okay, a friend at my school has asked me to build the best computer I can for around $500. I was wonderin if anyone on here could come up with something good. He doesn't need a mouse, keyboard, speakers, or a moniter. He plays a lot of games on it.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well from looking at your signature, you should be more than capable of going to www.newegg.com and picking some parts out for him. Newegg is generally the best selection with the best prices.

I would recommend that you cut back on the cost of the case(may not have the best cooling), the Operating System, and pick a Core 2 Duo as the processor. But with a motherboard that you can upgrade the cpu to a quad and if possible, and this is a big if, get a motherboard that supports sli or crossfire configuration and spend a big part of your budget on a real nice graphics card, then at a later date he would be able to upgrade to a Quad and/or buy a matching graphics card and run the sli or crossfire config.

Remember, buying 1 high end graphics card is better than buying 2 cheaper cards and running them sli/crossfire. Just save up later for the second High End Card.

Also, when picking the RAM, Drives, etc, don't go for anything fancy or for looks, just get whatever is the best bang for the buck within your budget.