Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't uninstall AVG 8.0, slowing down pc

• Please log in to reply

UtopiaV1

UtopiaV1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My free trial (yes, i know, stupid of me) ended about 3-4 months ago now, and so i immediately went to this fine website and download one of their suggested AV's (thanks Avira!), but AVG won't ever let me uninstall itself. It wasn't really a problem tho until a week ago, and it's really started slowing down my duel-core intel pc to the point where its running slower than a single core AMD processor rated twice as low by pc wizard. When i manually delete it i just get some rubbish about how it's 'in use', even though i've disabled it from startup and it's definitely not running in the background. Please help!

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall all my programs...

Maybe worth ago , can be located/downloaded @ http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Please double check that the bolded items are refering to AVG !!!

Best of luck !

Might have to do a manual uninstall , can take some time to do...

Let us know how it goes

Anthony19

Edited
have you tried disabling the services... ???

Edited by Anthony19, 26 March 2009 - 06:02 PM.

UtopiaV1

UtopiaV1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Wow, that was brutal, it's as if AVG never existed on my machine! This Revo thing is awesome! That's completely cleared it up thanks, and now i've managed to re-install windows defender which was being a pain too, cheers mate thanks for the help!

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Glad to be of assistance

Good to see all went well... thank you for taking the time to respond back and let us all know !

Best of luck in the near future
&
Happy computing

Anthony19