Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gaming computer

• Please log in to reply

stipower

stipower

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey guys im looking to build a gaming computer using this site(they have a build your own system link) looking to play games like World of warcraft, diablo 3(when it comes out!) This site is awesome when it comes to advice or help for computers so i wanna ask u guys!!!! Limit is prob $1200

link is http://www.memoryexp...ig/Default.aspx

thanks guys

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
What I would do is use that site to get an idea of your general build and/or compatibility. Then compare the prices at Newegg.com

In my experience, Newegg has a better selection and prices than most.

Then, You can also look at other items from Newegg that are similar that may be better, have better specs.

Then, once you have everything picked out start a new topic in System Building and Upgrading and ask if someone could help you confirm that everything is compatible or possibility if there is anything you could change or improve performance with while saving money. Etc, Etc.

I took a look at a couple items on that site and they seem to be higher priced than ones on Newegg.

Good Luck!

Edited by Ferrari, 26 March 2009 - 10:09 PM.

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
o ya forgot to mention i dont wont to buy online just that one site(ive had so many bad experiences online) thanks anyway ferrari!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I understand.

I can tell you that just about every tech on here has used Newegg and I can tell you from my personal experience that they are a very trusted website. It is pretty much THE place to buy computer parts.

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
alright ill give it a try! The prices look outstanding! SO what do u think i should get?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well, first I would need to know your budget. $500, $1000, $1200 etc. Then, answer these questions,

Do you prefer Nvidia or Radeon, or both?

Does the case have to have a window?

Are you a serious gamer?

Any color preference on the case?

If you can give me links to some examples of some things you would like, that would really help.

Here are some pretty good systems based on certain budgets. I believe $500, $1000, $1500 or higher budgets. Tell me if any of these types of builds look nice. HERE

Thanks, and let me know.

Edited by Ferrari, 27 March 2009 - 03:45 PM.

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Newegg is the only place i go for online comp shopping, good prices fast shipping, And when/if you need it excellent customer service.

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well, first I would need to know your budget. $500, $1000, $1200 etc. Then, answer these questions,

Budget is $1200

Do you prefer Nvidia or Radeon, or both?
Nvidia

Does the case have to have a window?

no
Are you a serious gamer?
yes

Any color preference on the case?
Black but doesn’t really matter

Most likely just looking for something with as really good videocard for the price and a good amount of ram, I’ll prob have multiple programs open so I would think I need a good processor. Sorry im so vague I have no idea whats out there!!! SO much to choose from.
o ya im liking the videocards on here which one is the best? http://techreport.co...icles.x/16438/7

Thanks so much Ferrari!

Edited by stipower, 28 March 2009 - 06:44 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I've started looking, but I forgot to ask one important thing.

Does the 1200 budget include a monitor, keyboard, mouse?

I am assuming no for right now. I'm looking at just the actual tower build.

Let me know.

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
nope just the tower build i already got a monitor, keyboard and mouse!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
How does this look? Let me know if you have any questions or don't like anything, etc.

2.66ghz Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM, 640GB Hard Drive, GTX 260 896MB 448bit Video, Vista Ultimate 64bit OS

CPU

Mobo

Case

PSU

Video Card

Ram(memory)

Hard Drive

DVD/CD Burner

Total comes to $1199.91 There are some mail in rebates to drop that price also if you decide to do them.

Things to Consider:

Adding a Blu-Ray Player later...never look at them too much, but around $200
Windows 7 is supposed to be coming out in August, last I heard.
Case is open to debate(the one I picked is a popular gamers case)
OS is open to debate, you need a 64bit OS because you won't be able to have more than 3.5gb of RAM if you don't.
Hard drive big enough???
You would want to add some RAM after the build, save up a bit, or you can just add another 4GB kit on now.
Any questions? Let me know.

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
wow ferrari this is absolutely perfect thanks for everything!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
No problem at all, glad I could help.

Good Luck with everything.