Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Page cannot be displayed

• Please log in to reply

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
On my my home computer, I'm able to connect to dial-up Internet easily but after the first 5 minutes, I cannot access any other website, including links from the homepage, my account information, etc. Every page says, "This page cannot be displayed." This all began when I was online and got a brown box that read, "There is no disk in the drive." I had to click the "X" in the right corner of it 4 times until it disappeared.

I've de-installed and reinstalled the ISP software 6 times, but no change.

Operating system: Windows XP
MS Internet Explorer
Peoplepc.com dial-up service

Advertisements

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Does that brown box and message still appear?
If yes please take a snapshot and post with your next reply

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I'm on my work computer right now.

The brown pop-up alert box still comes up most (but not all) times I log onto the Internet on my home computer. (The computer itself works fine.)

The text in the box reads: "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into the drive."

I have three options to click, but none of them takes me anywhere. I've tried simply dragging the box to below the page and not clicking anything.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
You might have malware on your system. You may want to open a post in the malware section.
If they don't find anything come back to this post and I will try to help you further.

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Someone suggested that I may have clicked two keys at the same time that generated some sort of system prompt to download a program, and that I should go to Start, Program, and Startup and right click on any item that shouldn't be there to delete it. Although the box appears only when I sign on to the Internet -- and not when I merely start up the computer -- I'm not sure this will work but I will try this when I get back to my home computer.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Although the box appears only when I sign on to the Internet

This and

go to Start, Program, and Startup

Don't go together. If it happened every time you rebooted that would make sense.

The reason I was suggesting you may have malware is because of this

I'm able to connect to dial-up Internet easily but after the first 5 minutes,

is where you problem starts.
This

This page cannot be displayed

and this

There is no disk in the drive

Don't go together. It looks like a bogus message.

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Here is a detailed account of what happens. I'm using Windows XP, Internet Explorer, and two different dialup services, peoplepc.com and aol.com.

When I log on to the computer, everything works fine. No problems.
When I dial in to the Internet for both services, the first number I dial takes me immediately onto the net. (As immediate as dial-up can be.)
I can go to Outlook Express to send/receive messages in my queue since the last logon. This privilege is available for about 2-3 minutes and then get a message like "Can't find server." Also every web page I try gives me "The page cannot be displayed." No browsing capabilities, although I am connected and the ISP web page is current each time.

What I've tried:
- Modified dialer to startup with a different access number.
- Checked ISP settings and deinstalled and reinstalled both ISP programs.
- Ran netsh int ip reset c:resetlog.txt
- Checked startup folder - This is and has been empty.
- Deleted cookies, history, and temp files.
- Ran defragmenter and disk cleanup
- Ran Norton
- On IE Explorer, "Work offline is not checked."
- Pinged address
- Ran network diagnostics on external modem. Works fine.