Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C drive is read only

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Just to make you a little bit more informed on what's going on.

unchecked every box (read only) on every file, on every folder on the drive only have it change right back

This is normal,
A quote from Microsoft

Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows

I have seen others with the same problem as you are having. The problem is with a file attribute (ie Read Only) being set. In XP Pro, the fix is straight forward, those were the steps I had you do before I new you were running XP Home.

Your comment

i have no clue as to why this happened.

Leads me to believe, there was or is malware on your system.
The work around I found was to down load this defrag program.
You may ask, so what's the difference, The attribute READ ONLY, has been set on the windows defrag program, I suspect on a file used when the analyze portion is being run. Thus you would get the read only error message. The new program will use a different file name than the windows version and should run just fine. The challenge for me at this moment, is finding which files attribute has been changed.

At this point you have a couple of options 1. Run the defrag program. (The one that you download)
2. Open a post in the Malware section, have them give you a clean bill of health.

I would like to do step 1, just to verify the workaround actually works.
Then I would most definitely go to the malware forum.

I will ask around and continue to research for the answer while they are checking your system.

Advertisements

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I have been dealing with JSntgRvr, if you want to talk with him. He has been helping me here.

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
That page wont load. I get about 5 bars and then it freezes.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
OK, Thanks for letting me know it looks like your system has malware issue's, as I see your post that JSntgRvr is working on.

Edited by Magglass, 28 March 2009 - 07:36 AM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Hi, busdrvr64 :)

Stay with me. I will close this topic for the time being. Findings requires a special approach.