Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM Info for new build

• Please log in to reply

oldguru2

oldguru2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I am a new member, (actually an old member but lost login info so reregistered).
I am in the planning stages of a new build and need some advice on Ram.
So for what I have got on my list of hardware for the build is:

Antec Sonata III 500 case
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 CPU
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Mobo
EVGA 512-P3-N884-AR GeForce 9800 GTX Video Card

My question has to do with the RAM. The motherboard specs say it will support DDR2 1300/1200/1066/800/667.
Will I see enough difference between the 1200 and the 800 to justify the price difference? Or better question probably, which ram should I get?

Thanks
Vic Indiana

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
A link to your motherboard would help me out a bit.

Also, will you be gaming? Or is this for regular computer usage?

And, how much RAM are you looking to have? 1GB, 2GB, 4GB,? FYI...if you will have an Operating System that is not 64bit, then it will only recognize about 3.5gb or so of RAM.

Answer those questions and I will be able to give better recommendations.

Edited by Ferrari, 27 March 2009 - 09:51 PM.

oldguru2

oldguru2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This would be primarily regular use with some gaming and some video editing. The motherboard is;
http://www.newegg.co...x...Q Pro Turbo
Thanks!!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You don't want to go too cheap if you will be doing video editing or playing any demanding games.

If you are going to be doing any intense gaming or video editing that requires a lot of RAM I would recommend getting ones that have heat spreaders to help keep it cool and preserve the life of the modules.

Here is a link to all the 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1066 kits. Name brands that you can trust are Patriot, G.Skill, OCZ, and I have always thought Kingston was a very good cheaper priced RAM to go with.

Here is a link to the 1200 kits. Pick from the same name brands mentioned. The G.Skill is just a ridiculous price if you ask me. But use this link as a reference. You may want to search around for a better prices. Generally, Newegg has the best prices though.

With all that said, I wouldn't go with the 800 speeds. I would consider 1066 a middle to upper grade, and then the 1200 speeds to be the best for your board. It just depends what you are wanting to spend. The last thing you want is to spend any kind of money on RAM and not be happy when you go to Game or Video Edit. That $250 for the G. Skill is outrageous, don't pay anything like that.

For regular usage, any of them will do the job, even 800 speeds.