Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 BSOD while playing MMORPG and Multiplayer FPS

• Please log in to reply

winabi

winabi

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Whenever I play a game over the internet, I'll get a blue screen. It happens most often with Warhammer Online but does occur with Counter-Strike: Source. I have come across some posts on other forums that Windows 7 has problems with heavy network load.

I only get these blue screens while playing the games. I'm fine with everything else. This only started happening after I installed Win7 Build 7000. The OS is up-to-date as well as my NIC drivers, GPU drivers and, to the best of my knowledge, the chipset as well. Unfortunately, my MOBO is ABIT. I bought it a few weeks before I knew they were tanking.

Anyways, I can retrieve the latest Memory.dmp file. I haven't found a way to open the file, which I know there is a way... I just haven't been successful in finding that way. :)

If this issue has already been covered in this forum or another, please post a link or let me know where to find it. I did search but didn't find anything. Any direction or help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
-Mike

Specs:
OS Windows 7 Ultimate BETA Build 7000
VGA SAPPHIRE Radeon HD4850 512M
CPU INTEL|PDC E5200 2.5G 2M
MB ABIT IP35P 775 P35 ICH9
MEM 1Gx2|OCZ DII800 OCZ2P800R22GK
PSU OCZ|OCZ600SXS 600W
HDD WD RAPTOR 35GB SATA
HDD MAXTER 150GB SATA

PS: I've also posted this in the Gaming forum just in case it should be there instead of the OS subforum.

Edited by winabi, 27 March 2009 - 09:23 AM.

Advertisements

winabi

winabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Whenever I play a game over the internet, I'll get a blue screen. It happens most often with Warhammer Online but does occur with Counter-Strike: Source. I have come across some posts on other forums that Windows 7 has problems with heavy network load.

I only get these blue screens while playing the games. I'm fine with everything else. This only started happening after I installed Win7 Build 7000. The OS is up-to-date as well as my NIC drivers, GPU drivers and, to the best of my knowledge, the chipset as well. Unfortunately, my MOBO is ABIT. I bought it a few weeks before I knew they were tanking.

Anyways, I can retrieve the latest Memory.dmp file. I haven't found a way to open the file, which I know there is a way... I just haven't been successful in finding that way.

If this issue has already been covered in this forum or another, please post a link or let me know where to find it. I did search but didn't find anything. Any direction or help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
-Mike

Specs:
OS Windows 7 Ultimate BETA Build 7000
VGA SAPPHIRE Radeon HD4850 512M
CPU INTEL|PDC E5200 2.5G 2M
MB ABIT IP35P 775 P35 ICH9
MEM 1Gx2|OCZ DII800 OCZ2P800R22GK
PSU OCZ|OCZ600SXS 600W
HDD WD RAPTOR 35GB SATA
HDD MAXTER 150GB SATA

PS: This was also posted in the OS subforum, but thought it might need to be in the gaming forum.

Holkeye

Holkeye

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Windows 7 is still a beta, is it not?

winabi

winabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes it is. In fact, RC is expected to be released in May due to an accidental posting of the RC download page on TechNet.

However, I'm trying to see if this issue is a common issue and has already been sent in for feedback... or if people have already fixed this issue in their beta testing. If so, how and what did they do. If it hasn't been fixed and has not been sent in for feedback, perhaps this thread could be help to the issue already being address by other testers or a start.

W7 Beta has been great with the exception of this one issue.

Edited by winabi, 31 March 2009 - 06:59 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
provide feedback to microsoft. That is the purpose of using a BETA product, to find bugs and issues.

winabi

winabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I already have but was just seeing if anyone here was having the problem or if anyone has already found a fix for the problem.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I'm new here, but I wrote these guides at another forum:
How to find BSOD info: http://www.bleepingc...tml#entry409491
How to diagnose BSOD's: http://www.bleepingc...opic176011.html

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Merged topics. Please do not duplicate your request for help.

Thanks for understanding.

winabi

winabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Merged topics. Please do not duplicate your request for help.

Thanks for understanding.

sorry about that!

winabi

winabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.

Here they are man. Beware, there are a lot. You'll find the ones from March in there which total to 18 dmp files. I definitely don't expect you to check each one AT ALL..... shoot, I just appreciate someone looking at one.

Thank you!

Attached Files

• Attached File  DMPs.zip   366.99KB   211 downloads

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The last one is a STOP 0x0a error, which is an error that occurs in memory. It's most likely caused by a misbehaving driver.

The dump file states that you're using the incorrect symbols for nt.dll. The other (1 or 2 of them) Win7 crash dumps that I've run didn't show this behavior, but I wonder what the source of this is. It could just be that nt.dll was updated, but the symbol servers weren't, or it could be a problem with your Windows installation.

For starters I'd run the built-in memory diagnostic, and also run chkdsk /r as there's some calls to ntfs.sys in the stack trace just prior to the crash. Post back with the results and we'll see what we can figure out.

winabi

winabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
OK... I've ran the chkdsk /r and the memory diagnostic and there were no errors. Any other thoughts?

Through the research I've gone through, I've been siding on the driver side as the problem... but just needed to be able to view the dmp's.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The 2nd link in Post #7 gives details on how to generate an analysis. Generating the analysis is easy, reading the output is difficult. I've been reading a book on analyzing dump files for the last 6 months - and am only 1/2 way through it!

We can try running Driver Verifier, but there's a chance that the system won't boot after it's done. There's no telling how likely that this is. To know that, we'd have to know what the driver is, and where it loads in the boot process. The point of using Driver Verifier is to force Windows to crash when the drivers are being monitored.

Here's my standard caveat for Driver Verifier:

Before running the tool backup all your data, find your system restore/installation disks, and have access to another system that can connect to the internet. This is because the next test that we run has the ability to prevent you from getting into Windows - if the error occurs within a driver that loads before the Windows logon becomes available.

If you've got all of that done, then here's the instructions on how to run Driver Verifier:

Once that's done, go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
In the window that opens, click on "Next" to create the standard settings
Then, click on "Next" to automatically select unsigned drivers
Then click on "Finish" to verify the list of selected drivers.
Then reboot.

The point of this is to generate a memory dump - so expect the system to crash on you. If it doesn't crash immediately, keep using Windows until it does. Once you capture the memory dump analysis post it here for us to have a look at.

Once you've crashed, go back in and turn off the verifier (until you do this the system will continue to crash because of the verifier).
To do this go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Then select the "Delete existing settings" option.
Then click on "Finish" to close the dialog and remove the settings.

If you're unable to do this in normal mode, try going into Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, then you'll have to access the Recovery Environment in order to manually remove the settings (and that's not fun!). If that's not possible, then you'll have to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

XDmario

XDmario

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm pretty late to reply, but still. What type of PC are you using? Is it old? Most mmorpgs run smoothly for me!