Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VISTA PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

sendi11

sendi11

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello people,
I have a really bad problem. It started off with dual monitors. When i switched off my computer and turned it back on all my icons were gone and desktop background was changed. Fist I thought that everything of my hard drive was deleted. But i was wrong. When i go to this file C:\Users\Sendi\Desktop all my icons and stuff are there. I know i can just copy the icons back, but also all my memory is lost. For example, my games can’t find any saved files even though there on my hard drive. It might be a virus but kaspersky and combofix didn’t find anything. None of them have picked up a virus. I have a 500gb hard drive, 4gb ram, 612mb video card. It seems like it has a problem with booting everything off my hard drive properly. Also when i go program files everything is there. When i look at my computer everything seems normal but nothing is running properly.
If anyone can help me i would really appreciate it. This is a tough one.

Thanks for reading guys hope you can help

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try system restore?

sendi11

sendi11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have tried that it says that there was no previouse restore point.
I think i never made a rrstore point

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You may need to save your data, and reinstall.

sendi11

sendi11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
could it be soemthing with my registry

sendi11

sendi11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey mate

I figured something out i dont know if you can help but a message poped out saying it could not load my administrater account properly.
Im guessing its the registry but i dont know where to look.

By the way this a great forum every other forum no one has helped me so thanks heaps.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It is most likely, some registry issue, but since you don't have any backup, or restore points, I'm not sure, if it's fixable.
You can try to create new account: http://www.lockergno...count-in-vista/, but I'm not sure, if it'll help.

sendi11

sendi11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hey

I figured out the problem. I had to delete a temp file in the registry and that did the job. I created a sysetm resore point to, just incase it happens agin. Thanks heaps

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I've never heard about temporary file in registry, but....

sendi11

sendi11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
the temp file wasnt only in the registry it was also in C:\Users\temp