Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

Nidma

Nidma

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey all,

Just a little question, I plan on ordering a graphics card over the next week or so, I plan on getting http://www.tigerdire...p;sku=V261-2402 . I don't think my power supply will handle it, so I will probably have to get a new one. Just a few questions, if I did get it, and my power supply didn't meet the requirements for the minimum requirements for the graphics card, would it not work?

This is my current computer: http://www-307.ibm.c...thEntry=8258J6U . It's a little old. It has all stock parts except for the RAM(which is now 2gb). My last question is, if the power supply I have now would not work with the graphics card I'm getting, what would be a good power supply to get?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The link to your computer doesn't work. You may have had to get there by entering your model number or something, so it is not viewable from others computers.

Could you provide the Name and Model of your computer? i.e. Gateway 450

Can you provide a Name and Model of your Motherboard?

And,

I don't think my power supply will handle it,

That card requires a minimum of a 270Watt Power Supply. Does your computer list what the wattage of your power supply is on the back of it? From the inside can you see its label? Look actually on the Power Supply.

With all that said, I think you would be happier with this card. It is like $7 more. However do you have the room for this card?

HIS Radeon X1650

Let me know your answers and what you think,

Edited by Ferrari, 27 March 2009 - 08:37 PM.

Nidma

Nidma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that.

My computer is a Lenovo 3000 J Series (Model Number: 8258-J6U)

I am not sure of the name and model of my motherboard, I couldn't find it anywhere.

I've looked at the power supply in my computer, and I don't see the max watts, I probably missed it, but I looked at it 4 times.

Also, what did you mean by, do I have the room for this card?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Your computers power supply is 250Watts, so I would recommend upgrading it because no matter what card you buy you will need at least a 300Watt.

I believe this is your computers specs...

CLICK HERE

Power Supply Wattage, scroll towards the bottom, look for Power supply

Power Supply Installation and Removal

Also, what did you mean by, do I have the room for this card?

Click on the link I gave for the HIS Radeon X1650 in the last post. Do you have room inside your computer for that? That is probably a better card.

Power supply name brands that you can trust are Corsair, Cooler Master, Antec, and others.

Your power supply seems to be an ATX Form, these are some that I would recommend. Corsair SeaSonic Antec

Here is a link to Power Supplies from 300-400Watts on Newegg.com HERE

Nidma

Nidma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Awesome, thanks a lot Ferrari! Really going to help me.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Good Luck :)