Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Refuses to Burn CDs

• Please log in to reply

JackAce

JackAce

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have tried my hardest to get it to burn CD's, but it refuses 9/10, since some are lucky hits. Tried different Cds, reinstalling drive software, rebooting it...ect. It still refuses, and I'm not sure what exactly is doing it. Using basic windows Information CD burner, it gives me the message that windows can't complete the format. Please help!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
See, if CDBurnerXp will work: http://cdburnerxp.se/

JackAce

JackAce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
It's not the burner in itself, it's something to do with the way it's trying to format and burn the CD...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I can only repeat my previous reply...

JackAce

JackAce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I understand your trying to help, but I've sort of been over this ground too. I've tried several different burners and it still won't work. It's trying to format CD-R's, which apparently it's not supposed to do. I'm not exactly sure why, but a good base structure has already been covered by Wannabe1.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
In that case, we'd benefit, if you post a link to some other thread, where Wannabe was working on your problem.

More detailed description of what is actually happening, including any messages, would help to.

JackAce

JackAce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
It's not on another forum. I was in the live chat. There is no specific error code or anything like that, it just says Windows was unable to complete the format. I'm using CD-Rs, and the disc drive I think still works because it reads CD's, it just won't burn. I've tried several different burners, so it's clearly not the program, it's got to be hardware or system doing something. It's also not when I'm trying to make an information CD, it also happens when I try to burn on iTunes and Windows Media.
That's as much information as I can give you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's a messed up problem, Broni. I helped Jack in chat last night.

Open Control Panel and then open "AutoPlay". Scroll to the bottom of the AutoPlay window and click on the "Reset all defaults" button. Click "Save" and try the drive.

JackAce

JackAce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
No, it seems that didn't work either. I thought it did for a second but when burning a CD in iTunes, it randomly stopped...the CD has nothing written to it. Its still broke, and the more I try the more I suspect the disk drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Me too.

Did it try to format the cd-r that time?

JackAce

JackAce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Yes, and that succeeded, so I tried it in iTunes. I don't think the formatting is the problem...is there a special burning eye in a disk drive that could have broken? After all, I am finding that weird plastic like white stuff in the tray.