Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Testing anti-static wrist straps

• Please log in to reply

little87

little87

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I read that anti-static wrist straps should be tested to make sure they work before using. But how do you test them? Do you use a multi-meter or continuity tester? I'm going to be working inside my computer for the first time this weekend so I'd really like to have information on this.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Personally I don't believe in anti-static wrist straps. Components are more resistant to static these days than they ever used to be, and the components are more likely to get killed by a power surge during a thunderstorm than your not using a strap. Providing you don't do silly things with the components that you know generate static (think the concept of sticking balloons to things via static) you should be fine.

little87

little87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Personally I don't believe in anti-static wrist straps. Components are more resistant to static these days than they ever used to be

Does that apply to seven year old computers?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Well with the number of spikes, surges and brown-outs it'll have seen over the last seven years (since it'll have had a cheapy power supply in it) and it's still going, I think you've answered your own question. Again, common sense prevails.

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
all you need to do, is not do it on carpet, and just touch a non-painted metal servace in ur case, every once and a whhile and you will be fine.

I built 3 computers with out any anti static stuff and havnt had 1 prob.