Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to remove Symantec Antivirus and viruses in quarantine

• Please log in to reply

j-lady

j-lady

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi!

In Dec 2007, I had some viruses that RatHat helped me remove. (He was AWESOME!) In the process, we tried to remove Symantec (not Norton) Antivirus, but it didn't completely work. It is still listed in Add/Remove Programs, but without a Change/Remove option. I've tried uninstalling any way I can (including the Symantec removal site, but those are all for Norton), but the full program isn't there anymore, I think just random folders. Every time I try to update AVG, it says I have another Antivirus program. My Ad-Aware picked up a virus a few days ago and I think it deleted it and I also ran my other programs (SuperAntiSpyware, AVG, SpyBot) just to make sure. I also ran the Kaspersly Online Scanner and it said my computer was infected with 3 viruses in a Symantec Antivirus Quarantine folder (these are old). I'm hoping that my computer is clean because they are in the quarantine folder, but I'd rather have them removed from the computer completely, along with the whole Symantec Antivirus program. I wasn't sure if going through My Computer and deleting files would be completely safe. Can someone help me?

Here's where Kaspersky said the infections were:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\Quarantine\09380000.VBN Infected: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.VB.cho 1
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\Quarantine\09380001.VBN Infected: Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Agent.chq 1
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\Quarantine\09380002.VBN Infected: not-a-virus:Downloader.Win32.WinFixer.au 1

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Its generally safer to leave things in quarantine, they are perfectly safe there

j-lady

j-lady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks so much for such a fast reply!!

Even if pieces of the Symantec program have been removed from the computer? That's why I was worried...I wasn't sure if the Symantec quarantine would be reliable since only some of the folders still remain (i.e., if you look in the Program Files folder, it's not there...these folders were in the "All Users" section, which I didn't even know were in there.)

And is it that normal for the Kaspersky scanner to pick up viruses that have been quarantined and think they are still infecting the computer? It didn't pick up any other quarantine folders that I know have picked up viruses in the past.

Is it possible to get Symantec off my computer completely, besides the normal uninstall and add/remove programs, since those options haven't worked for me? I don't want any part of it interfering with any other programs, like AVG.

Thanks again for helping me. :)

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Even if you have removed symantec, its still safe to leave those files in quarantine there

Yes Kaspersky does detect things in quarantine all the time, its just the way it is.

Did you try download and run the Norton Removal Tool

http://service1.syma...005033108162039

j-lady

j-lady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, I guess I won't worry about the files then. That makes me feel better. Thanks!

Yes, I tried the removal tool, but those are only for Symantec NORTON products. The product I have is actually a SYMANTEC program, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition, and there is no removal tool for it on their website that I could find.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You could post a HJT log in the Malware Removal forum and the helper can remove it if you wish. Just make sure to mention thats all you need done

j-lady

j-lady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok! Thanks for your help!