Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgraded and cloned hard drive, but will not boot

• Please log in to reply

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Have 6-yr old Compaq Presario. Wanted to upgrade hard drive. Used Norton Ghost 9 to copy old HD to new WD Caviar SE (EIDE) 320gb. After copy finish, turned off PC, unplugged old HD, switched new WD as Master and restarted.
Get initial Comapaq Esc/F1 Set-up/F10 Recovery screen, but after that completes display, program goes to blank gray screen with blinking cursorr in top left corner. No error messages, nothing. Never boots. When swtich back to old HD to check Disk Management, the new drive is recgonized, and the partitions are exactly same size on both HDs.
Any recommendations for next steps to get this new HD working and my PC booted up?
Thanks.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Check the jumper settings on the drives. There is usually a diagram on the drive, or you may have to go to the WD website.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If I remember wd drives to be a master with no slave the jumper is removed completely

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I'm not sure from your explanation which method you used to

copy

your HD.
Try creating the

clone

from a ghost boot disc.

Let us know what happens

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Magglass,

Did not catch that one. he says copy?

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks for the replies.
Will double check Master setup and get back.
When I used Norton Ghost, I used the Copy Disk to Disk function. During the Copy set up process, I also checked off to make the C: partition copy to be the Primary, and on both D: and C: partition copy checked off box that indicated to copy MBR.

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Update:
Unhooked old HD, connected new WD as Master, with no jumper installed. This is the WD Master setting when HD is "single"
Restarted. Went into BIOS set up and doubled check to make sure WD was second boot position, floppy as 1st. Got same result - gray screen with blinking cursor in top left corner.
Should I start over - reformat WD hard drive, partition in to two partitions, and do Copy Disk to Disk again? This current Copy Disk-to-Disk using Norton Ghost 9.0 was done over existing partitions from previous attempt of Copy of HD using Casper v5. Could the disk just not have been set up correctly, i.e., missing MBR, from previous attempts.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
When you did the copy of the C drive to the new 1, did you check the box to make the new drive bootable?

I would reformat the drive just to get it clean.
I would not partition the drive.
Copy the drive and check make bootable and copy mbr.

Swap the drives and see if it boots up.
If it works, you can then go into computer management and then add/format more partions in the unallocated space.

[attachment=28864:Ghost_9_wizard.jpg]

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Re your question - I checked that off when I copied the C: drive. I did not do that for the D: drive. I did this thinking that C: should be the only Active. If I copy both C: and D:, do I need to check that off for both?

So to make sure I understand your directions - I'll reformat to start clean, and then only Copy the C: drive (?), with your instructions re: the check off boxes. I'll not partition HD ahead of time, i.e, only one large partition. Do I copy only C:?

FYI ( but you probaby already know) - With Norton Ghost 9.0 you can only Copy one partition at a time, thus to Copy both C: and D: on old HD you have to have 2 partitions ready on new HD. I know you stated don't partition, but if I have to copy both, I'll need to create two partitions before Copying agan. So that's the reason for question about Copying only C: , or do I need to do both C: and D:?

Question - does D: (FAT32) have to be copied for PC to boot? Will PC boot using only copy of C: (NTFS) drive?

I followed link on related subject at bottom of this page called "New hard Drive will not boot my PC". In it a Moderator by name of Murray S. on 06/30/2005 replied (#27) with the following:

Below is an exerp from the following url.. http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_4.htm

"As I understand this issue, Windows XP "knows" which hardware was installed when it is shut down. XP has attached a volume identifier to each volume. When XP is restarted, it redetects the hardware and if the same, all is well.

When a disk is cloned, disk-to-disk, there will be two volumes with the same volume identifier. If the computer is restarted with both harddisks (the "source" and the "clone") installed, XP will start from the "source", detect the "clone" as new hardware and change the volume identifier since there can not be two volumes with the same volume identifier.

Nothing will be detected by the user until he/she takes out the "source" and makes the "clone" the boot drive. Now, XP can not boot because of the changed volume identifier.

The solution is simple when Ghost 2003 is used to do the disk-to-disk cloning. You don't let Ghost reset the computer and restart Windows but turn off the computer and remove the "clone" before restarting."

I did not use Norton Ghost 2003 (a DOS app I think; Separate disk did come with the Norton Ghost 9.0), but could this be what is happening to me?

BTW - I won't be able to do the new Copy process until later today, so please hang in there with me with your help. Plus the Copying is taking a long time (approx 10 hrs) since the old drive has slowed down its processing(?). May not be until this evening that I can post results of new copy process.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I actually have better luck with Ghost 2003 than Ghost 9.
Some info I have found is that users are reporting booting issues after "copy" when using Ghost 9.

You can use Ghost 2003 right from windows.
Go to Ghost advanced and choose "clone". This will allow you to clone the entire disk (all partitions).
It has been awhile since I did it this way.
I also recall that while running through the windows environment, that Ghost will shut the computer down, or restart, so it is the only thing running for the clone.

I will also create an image of the disks.
I have also created a ghost boot floppy and a ghost boot CD which is a recovery method to load an image file of the drive.
The image file is an extra that I do because I can load an image file faster, and it takes less space.
Ghost 2003 only allows floppy. I believe I created my Ghost boot CD through magic Iso and the appropriate files.

Edited by 123Runner, 29 March 2009 - 11:22 AM.

Advertisements

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I'll try Ghost 2003 later today and let you know results.
RE: question on only copying C: and whether that will allow PC to boot - is that doable, or must both C: and D:be copied to allow booting to occur
Thanks for your help.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Should be able to clone just C and it should be bootable.
That option is available in ghost 2003.
You can choose C or D or both.
I usually clone the entire physical disk. Its easier that way and all my programs and folders are intact and work.

I have had better luck with 2003 than ghost 9.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
123Runner,ZiaMan

Ghost9 is the problem, just for grins I dug through my pile of software. Installed Ghost9, Copied the HD (Made drive bootable and copy MBR) System booted, however, (I use the old login style, enter name and password), after clicking on that I get loading personal settings, then an immediate logoff screen.

Just to validate this, I deleted the partition, used a Paragon Recovery Boot disc. (One button Copy), Booted the drive, works like a charm!!

Bottom line: Ghost9 isn't reliable at all for cloning (copying)disc's

Edited by Magglass, 29 March 2009 - 02:29 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Thats why I prefer Ghost 2003. It has never failed me.
I use ghost 9 for daily and weekly backups and then an image from 2003

I am glad you got it worked out though.

Edited by 123Runner, 29 March 2009 - 04:10 PM.

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I can't seem to win on this one.
Tried to install Ghost 2003. Would not complete install. Got message that install interuppted and "Unable to determine tydpe of the existing Ghost installer. You need to manually uninstall the existing version of Ghost before installing the correct version." So I uninstalled Norton Ghost 9.0. Tried to install Ghost 2003 again, but get same message and program will not install. I searched files and apps. Found only some old folder re: a Norton Virus/Firewall program that I never installed. But deleted it to Recycle Bin. Tried installing Ghost 2003 again, but same result. Then tried to reinstall my Ghost 9.0, but it will not install now either. Getting error message pop-ups "1607:Unable to install Instashield Scripting Runtime" and "Internal error 2753.PQV2iSVC.exe".
So currently I am copying C: to WD hard drive with Casper v5.0. Will let that one run thru.

So....what are recomendations for Copying program - Paragon ( what is complete name?), or a new version of Ghost 2003? or something else? Willing to move on and try something considered reliable before the old hard drive dies on me completely.