Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FIXING A COMPUTERFOR A FREIND... HELP PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply

GUNTER86

GUNTER86

• Pip
  • 2 posts
IT STARTED FOR ME LAST NIGHT BUT ONLY IN SAFE MODE. I WAS TOLD IT HAD VIRUSIS SO I WAS GOING TO CLEAN THE HARD DRIVE BUT COULDNT GET MY FLASH DRIVE TO WORK SO I TRIED A RESTORE POINT FROM BACK IN SEPTEMBER. THAT DIDNT WORK. NOW WHEN I TURN IT ON THE CPU FAN GOES INTO OVER DRIVE AND THE MONITOR WONT COME ON. CHECKED THE MONITOR WITH MY LAPTOP AND IT WORKS GREAT. EVERYTHING IS ONBOARD WITH THIS MACHINE EXCEPT A MODEM CARD. I CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS. RAM IS FINE BUT I DONT KNOW IF THE HDD IS TURNING ON OR NOT. ALSO I TOOK THE RAM OUT AND NO BEEP CODE ERRORS. ANY IDEAS?????

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the power supply actually turning on?
It sounds like your power supply is not powering up correctly.

GUNTER86

GUNTER86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
AS far as I know the PSU is powering on. The PSU fan kicks on and it has a green led power light that turns on when I turn the comp on. I really think the MOBO went out. Would you know how to check the power supply unit on this machine without another PSU with a SATA power cord for this comps HDD?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I know you can get a power supply tester but not sure how much they cost.
If you can hear the hd spin up then that would be a good ideal that ps is working.
Can you take it to a computer shop and have them check it out, I mean the power supply

What kind of system is it
Make and model
It's possible if its not to old you can find another mobo.

Edited by rshaffer61, 29 March 2009 - 09:17 PM.