Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup account problem

• Please log in to reply

dkellermann

dkellermann

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
When I boot/reboot my pc, it opens an account I thought I had deleted (a year or more ago).
I have to log off and log on with my normal user account.
My first thought is to just delete that first account again, before I do, would like to know if it would cause more problems?
I have just installed (just before this problem) SpywareGuard, Spybot (not tea timer), Comodo Firewall, Avira AntiVir, MBAM, Spyware Blaster, ATF, and all scans are clean.
( Rorschach112 helped me 4 days ago to clean my pc )

TIA

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First you have 3 different spyware protectors running. You only should have one of each of the following
Anti Virus
Spyware
Malware
Firewall

I would keep
One of the spyware programs
Comodo
Avira
MBAM
ATF

More then that will slow your system down. Also it may cause false positives and cause conflict within your system.
Need more info on the account you are referencing. Is it a administrator account?

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 March 2009 - 12:42 PM.

dkellermann

dkellermann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Only SpywareGuard, Comodo Firewall and Avira are running.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok as long as they are not active all at the same time. What about the account?

dkellermann

dkellermann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It's an account that hasn't shown up in the 'user accounts' setting for at least a year, but now, it's the account that XP boots into...

control panel>user accounts> D (admin), Guest account (off) and asp.net (limited) but not the one that XP is loading at boot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could turn it off like the guest account or delete it again.
I'm just curious if there was new software that was installed right before this started?
Did you download something or visit a new website?

dkellermann

dkellermann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It's NOT listed under user accounts, so how would I turn it off?
After downloading SpywareGuard, Spybot (not tea timer), Comodo Firewall, Avira AntiVir, MBAM, Spyware Blaster, and ATF this problem started.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All the software was downloaded from its appropriate website?

dkellermann

dkellermann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Yes

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you bootup in "Your" account
is that the administrator account or a account with administrator rights?

If not administrator then reboot and log in as administrator. If the password field is empty leave it empty and click login.
Try going into user accounts then and see if the ghost account is there.

Advertisements

dkellermann

dkellermann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Both accounts are administrator. This one is computer admin, but the other (ghost) might be too. Wouldn't I need to be in this account to delete the (ghost) account?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The easiest is the administrator account as it is the default account setup by OS and has full rights.
Are there more then just you that has access to the system? If not there is a way to change the way it logs on so that there is no login. I'm checking it out now to see if it will work on bypassing that account.
Another possibility is that somewhere you have picked up malware or virus. Was this problem happening when you were cleaning the malware before or did it start later?

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 March 2009 - 03:47 PM.

dkellermann

dkellermann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Yup, both accounts are computer administrator. The only way to get to the ghost account is to reboot.
There is no log on now, it automatically goes to the ghost account.

This happened after the cleaning, after I downloaded (SpywareGuard, Spybot (not tea timer), Comodo Firewall, Avira AntiVir, MBAM, Spyware Blaster, and ATF) - and I did re-scan with Avira, mbam, comodo, spybot and nothing was found.

Edited by dkellermann, 28 March 2009 - 04:03 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well don't give up yet. We will get this figured out.
Changing the account will keep it from being able to make changes to the system but won't stop the login problem.
Wait if you can change it to limited but you can't turn it off?

dkellermann

dkellermann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I can't change it - have to be logged on from 'my' account to change the ghost account...sigh