Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Just bought a laptop and I have a few questions

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I just bought an HP laptop from bestbuy.

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1218041148373

My question is, when I push the screen back further (to get rid of a glare or something) the screen will turn off till I move my hand off of the screen. It does not do it if I try to close the screen only when I open it or push it back. Any idea why is it doing it? At first I thought it was a defect but I honestly do not know.

Thanks in advance for the help

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello brettxw...

I'd have to believe that it's a defect. I've worked on a lot of laptops and have a dv6000 that I use. None of them have ever displayed the behavior you describe.

If I were you, I'd take it back into Best Buy and have them take a look at it while it's under warranty.

wannabe1

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Hello brettxw...

I'd have to believe that it's a defect. I've worked on a lot of laptops and have a dv6000 that I use. None of them have ever displayed the behavior you describe.

If I were you, I'd take it back into Best Buy and have them take a look at it while it's under warranty.

wannabe1

Thank you wannabe1. I went right to Bestbuy literally after I read your post. And it was a defect! They replaced it and I was in and out of there with in 10 minutes. Thank you for informing me.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are quite welcome... :)

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Other question wannab1,

I leave the laptop on at night while I sleep. But in the morning it has disconnected from the net and then reconnects once I open the cover. Anyway to stop that?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click on the Start orb, then click on Control Panel. In Control Panel, click on Device Manager (you'll need to be in classic view for this...link in left pane). In Device Manager, expand (click little triangle), then right click on your network adapter and choose "Properties". In the Properties window, click on the "Power Management" and remove the tick from the box next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"...apply the change.

Laptops will usually show two network adapters, one of which will be wireless. You only need to change the sleep setting on the one you use when you leave the machine on. You can change it for both if you so desire.

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Awesome. Thank you.