Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I merge a partitioned harddrive?

• Please log in to reply

Mumps

Mumps

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi all,

My new laptop has 2 hard drives in it.

One hard drive is split up unto 2 partitions. C: Drive, and F: drive. I guess I'll just use the F for misc data and such.

But the other hard drive is split up into 2 different partitions as well, D: and G: and this is a problem for me. I would rather have this hard drive set up as 1 drive.

How can I take the second drive and make it one drive instead of 2 partitions?

Thank you :)

Advertisements

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hello Mumps

Is there any data on the second hard drive?

Please click start, right click My Computer, click manage, click disc management.
Expand the window to full size, take a snapshot and upload with your next reply.

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I do not have any data on there.

Also, don't mind Bob. That drive is just my external drive. But... is it bad that it says "Active"? I accidentally clicked that when I set it up...

Attached Thumbnails

• disk_management.jpg

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

don't mind Bob. That drive is just my external drive. But... is it bad that it says "Active"?

Nope, Bob looks good just the way he is.

WARNING: ALL DATA ON THIS DRIVE WILL BE LOST!!

Go to disc management like you did before.
Right click on G:, delete partition, click yes , Right click on D:,delete partition, click yes (they will show unallocated)

Right click on unallocated, click on New partition, The new partition wizard will pop up. Click next, Click next (primary partition)
Keep the partition size in Megabytes, the way it is (It's the maximum disc space), click next, you can keep the drive letter it chose for you or change it from the drop down list. (It will not show letters already in use) Click next, leave the format the default (NTFS), You can give bob a friend and change the volume label, if you like. click next, It will display a window with your selections, click finish. The state will change from unallocated to formatting. Once that has completed, you will have one partition. (One Drive)

Let me know how you make out,
Regards,
Magglass

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks a lot! It worked and my drives are just the way I wanted them to be setup.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Your Welcome!