Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware issue...now super-slow boot-up

• Please log in to reply

TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I had a malware issue that was resolved with the help of this forum. Prior to the malware infection, my XP Home system (Dell 700m notebook) would boot-up rapidly.

Since the malware issue, the boot-up is VERY slow. My system requires a password to be entered for boot-up. Prior to the malware issue, I'd enter the password at the blue Windows splashscreen and within a second or two, I'd see my wallpaper and task bar and simultaneously hear the Windows start-up theme.

Now, after entering the password, the blue start-up screen remains for almost a minute. After that, the wallpaper appears but there is no task bar or start up theme for at least another minute.

The system seems to be functioning well of other than the slow boot time.

I tried to perform "sfc /scannow." I read that I'd need to have a XP SP3 recovery CD to do this since I have SP3 installed. I followed an online guide and created a slipstreamed XP3 CD with my Dell XP2 reinstallation CD and a downloaded version of SP3. I performed the "sfc /scannow" using the slipstreamed CD and boot-up remains unchanged.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA.

Tipsy

Edited by TipsyMcStagger, 28 March 2009 - 10:20 PM.

Advertisements

TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Any thoughts?

Should I try a repair installation as outlined in the Sticky?

Tipsy

TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Tipsy

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Switch off your modem/router. Click Start > Run. Type "msconfig" and press Enter. Check Selective Mode and click Startup. Uncheck everything, including antiviris and firewall (if there is one showing in msconfig) and see if there is a difference. If boot time is normal repeat the process and check some items. Reboot and see what happens. You will be able, by trial and error, to pinpoint the problem. Prime suspects: antimalware and firewall programs. Check them first and boot.

TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Switch off your modem/router. Click Start > Run. Type "msconfig" and press Enter. Check Selective Mode and click Startup. Uncheck everything, including antiviris and firewall

Deselected everything and rebooted.

Boot-up time is unchanged.

Tipsy

Edited by TipsyMcStagger, 02 April 2009 - 01:29 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please try to reboot in Safe Mode and see if it makes any difference. When you boot in Safe Mode the computer loads only generic drivers that are included in XP. If the computer still boots slowly then it's a windows driver problem. If it boot faster then the problem is with a higher level driver or program which will not be fixed by XP repair. Very often XP repair fails, ending with more problems then you started with.

Let us know what happens.

TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I might have spoken too soon! I went into "startup" in "selective mode" and deselected everything. I then rebooted and the boot-up time was unchanged.

I reselected everything in "startup", shut the computer down and called it a night. Upon starting the computer in the morning, boot-up time is drastically improved! This is odd because I now have everything selected in selective startup that was previously selected. The only difference being the one boot-up attempt with everything deselected.

Going to try to reboot a few more times.

Will report back.

Tipsy

EDIT: Subsequent reboots are just as slow as before. Strange.

I'll try safemode and report back

Edited by TipsyMcStagger, 02 April 2009 - 08:55 AM.

TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Haven't had a chance to mess with this for a while but I ran System Restore today and the boot-up problem is resolved. System Restore created some other strange issues but they don't seem to be affecting things too badly.

For example, I'm trying to uninstall Microsoft ActiveSync but it will not uninstall. It launches "Windows Installer" and then fails to uninstall ("The Installation Source for this Product is Not Available") but the system is running much better than it has been so I'm going to leave well enough alone.

Tipsy