Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DSL Modem Restarts on certain Activity

• Please log in to reply

BrandenM

BrandenM

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

My problem: Certain activites cause my DSL modem to restart itself.

Activities: Starting the computer, turning on the monitor, and entering a full screen game.

Modem: Verizon's Westell 6100F
Router: D-Link WBR-2310 Rev: A1 Firmware Version: 1.05

When I directly connect to the modem it's fine, but, the router does not act up at all during any of these activites.

Thanks,
Branden

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Branden -- welcome to G2G :)

My problem: Certain activites cause my DSL modem to restart itself.

Activities: Starting the computer, turning on the monitor, and entering a full screen game.

We're going to play ask a 100 questions :)

Can you expand on what happens when the modem "restarts itself" -- do all of the lights just switch off, then turn back on? How old is your modem? Has this issue always occurred, or did it only start recently?

Are you aware that the "modem" you have is in actual fact a modem/router combo? Have you setup your modem in Bridged mode? Have you disabled the DHCP server on either your router, or your "modem" --OR-- ensured that your router and modem are on different subnets?

When your modem loses it's connection, what do you have to do to regain the connect? Or does it simply reconnect after a few moments, on it's own?

When you lose your connection, please do the following.
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan

Edited by Dan, 29 March 2009 - 02:37 AM.

BrandenM

BrandenM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Lets now play 100+1 answers. :)

When the modem/router (It's the combo one) restarts itselt, it just disconnects from the internet. I regain connection after it connects back to the internet about a minute later.

The modem is the newest modem/router from Verizon, it's the Westell 6100F.

Yes, this issue always occoured.

The modem/router is indeed in Bridged Mode.

The Modem/Router's IP: 192.168.1.1
My ROUTER's IP: 192.168.0.1

When this happens, I do not loose my IP address from the DHCP server, because that is housed on my D-Link router, which does not get effected at all.

Thanks,
Branden

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
The main problem I can think of here would be having two DHCP servers running at the same time. I would actually suggest that you configure your router as a switch, and see if the issue persists. It's easy enough to revert the settings.

To do so, login to your D-Link router's web interface, and view it's LAN Settings. In this section, you will need to manually set it's IP to 192.168.1.100. Once you've done that, ensure the option for DHCP Server is disabled on your router. At this point, connect your router to your modem by using an Ethernet cable and ensure you make the connection via the LAN ports; don't use the WAN port. So, the two devices should be linked by their respective LAN ports (i.e. the same way you would connect a computer).

Your D-Link should now be acting as a switch. You should be able to connect to it via wireless, and still access the Internet. Can you?