Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Build -

• Please log in to reply

Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hiya!

I'm planning on building a system for myself in the next few weeks intended for mostly video editing, graphic design and programming. I am sick to death of waiting for photoshop to take it's 5 minutes to open, and then another 5 minutes to load my thousands of fonts.

i have about $2,000-$2200 AUD to spend on the system.

im a complete newbie at the hardware side of things, so bare with me :)

i need particular help in selecting the power source, and cooling unit..

Processor/CPU:
Something quad core... perhaps:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W
About $317.

Memory:
As much as I can afford! 6GB? Compatible with mobo?
Kingston HyperX 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
$217.99

Mobo:
i7 Preferably. Compatible with memory?
EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
$294.99

Graphics:
Dual cards. Does mobo support it?
2x GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
$79.99 x 2

Hard Drive:
Don't need too much space...
Western Digital Caviar GP WD7500AACS 750GB 5400 to 7200 RPM
$60

DVD Drive
Anything really..
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827136152
$24.99

Power Supply:
Not a clue!
Any suggestions?

Fan / Heatsink
Also no clue.

Case
How large would a case need to be to fit such a computer?

Chances are, that stuff probably all contradicts itself, so any guidance is appreciated!

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
here we go...

Processor/CPU:
Something quad core... perhaps:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W
About $317.

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

The MOBO you had selected was for an I7 CPU, but the CPU you selected wasn't I was able to get the low end I7 for less than your selected CPU, this I7 CPU is easy overclockable and stable, I have seen 3.4ghz oc'd and stable

Memory:
As much as I can afford! 6GB? Compatible with mobo?
Kingston HyperX 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
$217.99

This is excellent memory and it is a good price, also It maxes out the MOBO for amount of RAM
Corsair 12bg (6x2gig) 1600 desktop memory

Mobo:
i7 Preferably. Compatible with memory?
EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
$294.99

This MOBO supports SLI
EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics:
Dual cards. Does mobo support it?
2x GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
$79.99 x 2

These video cards are sli ready.
EVGA 512-P3-N866-TR GeForce 9600 GT Superclocked Edition 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Hard Drive:
Don't need too much space...
Western Digital Caviar GP WD7500AACS 750GB 5400 to 7200 RPM
$60

You could also try
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

DVD Drive
Anything really..
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827136152
$24.99

Ok given what you do I would say purchase 2 dvd burners

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30

Power Supply:
Not a clue!
Any suggestions?

I would get at least a 750 Powersupply, but for future expandability I would get

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

Fan / Heatsink
Also no clue.

How large would a case need to be to fit such a computer?

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
This tower has great cooling, looks and expandability

Chances are, that stuff probably all contradicts itself, so any guidance is appreciated!

You had a few problems, but that's OK you haven't done it before.

I don't know the exchange rate from US to AUD. But for me here in the US this system is 1529.92 without shipping.I also don't know if Newegg ships to Australia. If anything you have a good list of parts that should all work together, if you want to go higher end with some parts we can continue to modify the list. This list is a great build for the money.

Ok I just looked up the exchange rate for AUD $2200 = $1520 US dollars According to this financial site

Of course this includes only a tower not the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or speakers or operating system. Which should be a 64bit system

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 30 March 2009 - 07:32 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I agree, you definitely want a 64bit Operating System.

Also, I don't know how serious of a graphic designer or video editor you are. Here are some articles that talk about the difference between Workstation cards and Gaming cards. The one mention by cbarnard is a gaming card. There seems to be some debate between whether or not workstation cards are worth there price.

i.e. The cheapest workstation card on newegg. $900!!! Depending on how serious you are, I thought I would chime in and give you some info. I don't know anything else about graphic design or video editing, so below is all I really know, and some of the software and terms mentioned I had never heard before.

Workstation Cards

Difference Between Workstation and Gaming Cards

Workstation vs. Gaming

yahoo answers this

Hope some of that helps.

Cheers!

Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi,

thanks for the input.

just one thing, with the x64 stuff, i've heard a lot about major compatibility issues with the 32-bit applications when running them on x64. Can i expect to have troubles frequently? is it worth it?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The most common reason someone uses 64bit OS is so they can have more RAM. 32bit OS's will only recognize about 3.5gb of RAM. If you are going to be using the computer for what you say you are, then you need more RAM than that.

Here is a quote from Microsoft.

Many programs designed for a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows will work on a computer running 64-bit versions of Windows without any changes. However, in some cases there might be differences in performance. If a 32-bit program uses embedded drivers, the drivers might not work in the 64-bit environment. If you have a 64-bit computer, it's best to run programs designed to run on a 64-bit computer.

And here are more FAQ's about 32bit and 64bit programs and OS's. HERE

Hope that helps,

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance? Has my information been helpful?

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck.

Cbarnard