Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wild Fan?

• Please log in to reply

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi!

Lately, my fan on my computer (Windows XP) has been really loud and never settles down, even when I have nothing running.

I'm not sure what this is due to and I'm wondering if there's any way to make it settle down without having to replace it.

Is there anything I can do on the computer to settle it down? I feel like every minute I stay near the computer, it'll explode.

Thanks~

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Which fan is making the noise
Case fan, Cpu Fan, Power Supply Fan?
Second the fan could be dirty or clogged and is straining to work. You will have to open the case on the left side looking from the front of the case
A can of compressed air will do the job. If it is clogged with more then dust then you will have to remove the fan and clean it with a q-tip
If the fan is indeed damaged then the only option is to replace
a case fan will cost about 10.00 dollars to replace
cpu fan is about 15.00

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I think it's the case fan (the machine/box one)

I opened the case and cleaned it with kleenex and those cleaner tips
Found a lot of dirt but in some parts (like the fan) I couldn't get the dust.

Should I just try the air wherever dust is? Or would that damage some parts? I kinda don't want to use compressed air on some machinery that might be blown off or something :\

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The air will work fine as long as you don't use it with the can upside down.
You could remove the fan and that should make it allot easier to blow it out.
If it is on the front of the case then the removing of the front of the computer will help in getting it off.
Usually they are held in by clips that just need to be depressed to release the fan