Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Volume Information help

• Please log in to reply

fang_2k7

fang_2k7

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I've been having problems with my computer for a while; mainly with something eating up my harddrive space like crazy. I went to several forums but I couldn't find any solutions as to what may be causing this, and then a friend suggested I download SpaceMonger to monitor my harddrive space.

Well, I've used it since yesterday and found out that my SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION folder is the problem. It went from 14GB to 25.6GB in less than a day and I can't find a permanent solution to treat this problem. So far, the only thing I know how to temporarily treat it is to retart my computer. And by doing so, for some reason, it clears a lot of the space it took up.

A few forums said to change the System Restore space capacity, which I did (from 12% 6286MB to 10% 5068MB) but the folder is still growing in size.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It appears you may have a malware problem. Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

fang_2k7

fang_2k7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Oh wow, I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.
I will go do that right now.
Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may not be anything but better safe then sorry.

fang_2k7

fang_2k7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay, I followed through with all the steps but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Is there a specific malware that's causing this?

I ran Malwarebytes' and it removed a few infections and then I rebooted and used SpaceMonger to scan my harddrive disk space again.
As of now, I have 59% (30.2GB) of free space and none taken up by System Volume Information. But that might change. I'm thinking I might need a day or so to see if the problem recurs.

Edited by fang_2k7, 29 March 2009 - 11:59 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should post a topic in the malware forum and the logs the tutorial suggest. That way one of the malware techs can look at your logs and determine if a deeper scan needs to be done. Malware is not easy to get rid of and the techs in that forum have been trained to do just that. It may take some time for them to get to you as that forum is busy but they are worth the wait in helping to clean your system.

Edited by rshaffer61, 29 March 2009 - 12:13 PM.

fang_2k7

fang_2k7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Oh okay, thanks again for all your help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
no problem,
As soon as the malware technician gives you a clean bill of heath and if it doesn't fix the problem, then come back and post here and we'll work on some other plan of attack for you.