Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

prefetch or delets ? ? which is best option and why ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all , , as a matter of good housekeeping, i used to go into the internet options tab within the control panel and use the delete feature to clean up my pc and laptop.
About a year ago i learnt about " prefetch " to delete tempory internet files and have used it ever since.

My question is, , , which is best to clean up, , delete feature or prefetch cos if i use the delete feature within internet options and immedietly run prefetch, , its full of files still leading me to believe that deleting tempory files from the internet options tab is not doing the job properly.

Can anyone enlighten me with the finer details of what i am actually acheiving by running prefetch.

Many thanks, , kev

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You don't want to delete the contents of the prefetch folder all the time. The point of that folder is to actually increase computer speed, so by deleting its contents you are slowing your PC down a little bit.

Shadan

Shadan

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
ccleaner is a great software help you clear up all unuseful information for you~~~

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
This is a bit safer than ccleaner.

This will clean up your temporary internet files, cookies, prefetch folder, and more. The below instructions can help increase browser speed, overall performance, and is a great way to maintain your system. It also gives you the option of what category you want to delete or don't want to delete.

Download and Run ATF Cleaner. Make sure all your browsers are closed when you run the cleaner. (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello rxkevco...

Just to clear up a couple things here...

The prefetch, as Rorschach112 mentioned, is a folder where Windows stores files it uses during startups and for commonly used programs. It's purpose is to put these files in one place so it doesn't have to search the machine for the files it needs each time you start the machine or open an often used program. By design, the prefetch will repopulate with the files it needs when you boot the machine, so it's pretty tough to catch it in an empty state...even right after it's cleared. After it's cleared, it may take up to four reboots to fully repopulate the folder and startup time may actually be slightly longer until it has fully repopulated.

While it's good to clear the prefetch occasionally, it's really not necessary to clean it out real often unless you are experiencing problems with drivers or programs that aren't loading correctly on startup. I normally clear the prefetch after uninstalling software or hardware...or when I suspect Windows is loading a corrupt driver from there. It's not a repository of temporary files as some seem to think, but rather a holding tank for the files Windows uses often.