Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CORRUPT INSTALL FILES & IE7 KEEPS CRASHING!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

musiklover

musiklover

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been going crazy here for last month now! I cannot install any anti-virus, cannot install other browsers, cannot stay on IE7 for too long without a window popping up saying that Internet Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience. Then asks if I want to send an error report. I have scanned with Windows Malicious Software Removal and no problems found as far as viruses, but I haven't been able to scan with an anti-virus because I can't install one! I've reformatted my computer probably close to 10 times now and re-installed XP (mind you, i got the version from isohunt.com). I am at my witts end with this stupid computer! I can't install microsoft office either! nothing! I am running an AMD Athlon processor and I believe it was manufactured in 1999 (which could be the problem????). I have been trying everything I can think of to try and diagnose this problem. Can somebody PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!! :)

Oh, I also wanna note that sometimes when the IE7 crashes, it causes my entire computer to crash. I really want to throw my computer into heavy traffic at this point! :)

Edited by musiklover, 29 March 2009 - 11:42 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you cannot get a antivirus scan to run it maybe best that you go thru the malware forum and make sure you are not dealing with a infection first.

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Edited by rshaffer61, 29 March 2009 - 12:21 PM.

musiklover

musiklover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have reposted this in the Malware forum like you asked me to.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
musiklover, you got your version of XP from isohunt? In other words, it's a pirated version of software. According to our TOU:

The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

I'm closing your topics.