Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what do error display "cs: ip: & op:" stand for?

• Please log in to reply

Brad2

Brad2

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
this is one of those times Google is useless to me . . .

I've just [bleep]slapped a mean, mean virus off my PC last week and during the process of the battle
XP popped up various error messages encouraging me in my struggle against the invading force.

But, alas,
every error message were differently numbered. And I couldn't be bothered to (ie. couldn't find it on the first Google attempt)
translate every one into something I could comprehend.

On each one, the common theme was CS: IP: & OP: (ex. CS:of76 IP:04C4 OP:636f72)

Anyone know what each of those stand for?

thanks
Brad

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you ever get the malware off...and are you having any issues now...

Brad2

Brad2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Howdy Trusted Staff.
Love the avatar, btw.

Got the virus/malware off and gone.

(I still see the files on the startup list, even though they're not checked . . .
but they're not causing any problems)

So,
I gather no one knows what the CS IP OP is?

Can't be.
They must stand for something :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a quick question. Did you do the infection removal or did malware techs help you?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get a screenshot of the error message and post it here

Brad2

Brad2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Shaffer: I tried to remove it manually, but there was hidden files causing mayhem every once and awhile, so I downloaded various anti-spy/malware programs until it was cleaned up.
I think I used info from 2 or 3 forums.

Mainly because I wanted to learn what was going on. How files were being stored and where, and what type they were. Instead of just zapping it with a program right off the bat.

So, to answer your question clearly: I can't remember exactly. Sorry.

Happy I haven't had it in awhile, but next time I see it, I'll be sure to shoot the screen and paste it.

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There is a possibility then that you are still infected and thats what is causing your problem. Malware is very tricky and can disguise itself as legitimate files.
I would suggest the following just to be sure.

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Brad2

Brad2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
:)

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my first post. So I will try to clearify further.

1. I am not infected anymore.

2. I was just wondering what the "CS" "IP" and "OP" stood for on the Windows XP Error messages. As searching Google for these 'as is' just comes up with the same
error messages I had, but with different numbers after them with no information to what they actually mean.

That is all.

Thank you for your concern though . . .

Edited by Brad2, 13 April 2009 - 04:48 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
trying to track down the random error messages meanings that windows throws at you (IMHO) will be a exercise in futility.. :)
each with at least 3 or 4 possible causes/possible fixes...if its gone ...just be happy and move on until the next problem rears its ugly head .. :)

Brad2

Brad2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Doesn't it bother you a teenie-tinie-bit no one has a clue what they're even trying to tell us?

Does me.

Wanna learn.
Wanna know.

It helps pass the time between now and when I die.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get that screen shot...otherwise I'm moving on to something else... :)

Brad2

Brad2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Word . . .

I guess I'll have to surf the Net with IE 6, sans patches, and catch that virus again :)

until then, then,

laterz

Edited by Brad2, 13 April 2009 - 05:30 PM.