Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Computer Is Better

• Please log in to reply

thecropgirl

thecropgirl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:) :) :) I'm looking at two computers on Wal-Mart.com Web site. I'm having a hard time deciding which one is better. Any suggestions? :no: :)

SYSTEM 1:

$898.00

HP 17'' Pavilion dv7-1279wm Laptop PC w/ Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6400
Item Description Top of Page

This entertainment laptop combines a big high-definition screen with a sophisticated Intel processor and the 64-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium. Additional highlights include expanded RAM, Webcam with microphone, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics, DVD burner, wireless LAN, gigabit Ethernet LAN, HDMI port, SRS premium sound with subwoofer, Norton Internet Security 2009 (60-day trial version), and Microsoft Works.

Key Features & Benefits:

BrightView 17" widescreen LCD, measured diagonally

Presents vivid 1440 x 900 WXGA+ resolution with more than 16 million colors

2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor T6400

Runs multiple applications simultaneously with 64-bit processing power and it's energy-efficient

4 GB of DDR2 system memory

Offers excellent performance with today's demanding applications

500 GB hard drive, 5400 rpm

Provides plenty of storage for documents, games, music, photos and videos

SuperMulti DVD+/-RW drive with double layer and LightScribe support

Lets you play DVDs and music or burn DVDs and CDs

Webcam with integrated digital microphone

Enables videochat, videoconferencing and other multimedia options

802.11a/g/n wireless LAN

Connects to wireless home and office networks or to Wi-Fi hotspots for convenient Internet access

5-in-1 digital media card reader

Reads the most popular memory card formats so you can enjoy photos, music and other files

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition with Service Pack 1

Delivers stronger security and a new level of reliability while taking full advantage of Intel 64-bit processor technology

Processor Brand: Intel
Processor Type: Core 2 Duo
Hard Drive Size: 500 GB
System RAM: 4096 MB
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 10.5
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 11.22 x 15.59 x 1.66
Assembled in Country of Origin: USA and/or Imported
Origin of Components: USA and/or Imported
Wal-Mart No.: 000599659

SYSTEM 2:

$918.00

HP 17" Pavilion dv7-1260us Laptop PC w/ AMD Turion X2 RM-74 Dual-Core Mobile Processor

With a built-in Blu-ray ROM drive, Altec Lansing speakers and SRS premium sound, this model is all about entertainment. Additional highlights include a sophisticated processor, the 64-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium, expanded RAM, Webcam with microphone, ATI Radeon HD3200 graphics, DVD burner, wireless LAN, Norton Internet Security 2009 (60-day trial version), and Microsoft Works.

Key Features & Benefits:

BrightView 17" widescreen LCD (measured diagonally)

Presents 1440 x 900 WXGA+ resolution for crisp graphics and text

2.2 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-74 Dual-Core Mobile Processor

Furnishes 64-bit operation and runs multiple applications simultaneously without slowing down

4 GB of DDR2 system memory

Offers superior performance with today's demanding applications

400 GB hard drive, 5400 rpm

Provides plenty of storage for documents, games, music, photos and videos

Combination Blu-ray ROM and SuperMulti 8x DVD+/-RW drive

Lets you watch high-definition movies and also play DVDs and music or burn DVDs and CDs

Webcam and microphone

Enable videochat, videoconferencing and other multimedia options

802.11a/b/g/n wireless LAN

Connects to wireless home and office networks or to Wi-Fi hotspots for convenient Internet access

5-in-1 digital media card reader

Reads the most popular memory card formats so you can enjoy photos, music and other files

Versatile ports

Furnishes Ethernet LAN, VGA, eSATA, HDMI, and USB 2.0 ports

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition with Service Pack 1

Delivers stronger security and a new level of reliability while taking full advantage of AMD 64-bit processor technology

Processor Brand: Intel
Processor Type: Turion X2
Hard Drive Size: 400GB
System RAM: 4096 MB
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 10.85
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 11.22 x 15.59 x 1.31
Assembled in Country of Origin: Imported
Origin of Components: Imported

Thanks for your imput

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi, Welcome to GeekstoGo!

The second system you listed seems to be the better one. It has a processor with dual cores like the first one but operates at .2ghz faster.

The second system also has a blu ray player, along with the cd/dvd burner. Blu-Ray seems to be the new thing, so you may like that a year or two from now.

The second system also has a vga port and hdmi ports. The first system doesn't list that in the specs.

The second system has a smaller hard drive of 400gb compared to the first systmes 500gb. That isn't a huge difference if you won't be using a lot of space on your hard drive. (My laptop only has a 80gb hard drive and I've only used 30gb, but I don't download music or movies much either)

Other than that, they are pretty much identical as far as the hardware specs go. I would take the second system if I had to pick between the two.

Hope that helps!

Did you have any specific questions about the two laptops?

Edited by Ferrari, 29 March 2009 - 02:39 PM.

thecropgirl

thecropgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the imput...... I don't think I'll be doing much down loading of music or movies. I figured for the few bucks more the second one is the better buy. The one I currently have is a little over 10 years old, so I'm due for a new one... I'm just little skeptical over VISTA and the horror stories I've heard. There was one at WalMart this morning and it really doesn't seem much different then XP (which is what I currently have).

Edited by thecropgirl, 29 March 2009 - 02:52 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Not a problem at all, more than glad I could help.

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Thanks for the imput...... I don't think I'll be doing much down loading of music or movies. I figured for the few bucks more the second one is the better buy. The one I currently have is a little over 10 years old, so I'm due for a new one... I'm just little skeptical over VISTA and the horror stories I've heard. There was one at WalMart this morning and it really doesn't seem much different then XP (which is what I currently have).

that's all they are is stories,

I have had vista for about a year, have my comp running pretty much 24/7, Vista hasn't BSOD'ed once hasn't crashed, doesn't really slow down much for me. People just don't like change.

It might take you a while to get used to it, but once you do get the hang of vista i think you will like it better.

Edited by charge06, 29 March 2009 - 08:08 PM.

thecropgirl

thecropgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Charg :)

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi thecropgirl,

I just want to chime in one other thing:

First laptop is more for gaming (see the video card), it has 9600M GT which is good for gaming compared to the ATI HD 3200.
Second laptop is more for multimedia, like watching movies hence why it has a Blu-Ray player and HDMI port.

Vista is great if you have the required hardware for it, I installed a 64-bit Vista on my computer with 2GB of RAM and I wasn't happy with its performance but I gave it another chance and upgraded it to a 4GB. It changed everything, performance was much better. Ever since I installed Vista, I have never gone back to XP (I have dual-boot Vista and XP, was a precaution just in case I wouldn't like Vista :)).

Kamille