Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

unable to remove xp pro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

12help21

12help21

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hp 5000 with xp home. downloaded sp 3 and comp crashed. would not boot could not get into safe mood. S.o.o.o figured to install xp pro over it. All good till validation. could not provde correct key( I really did think it was "good". Could've been eula violation. Now cannot do anything, Would like to remove it if possible by the time i get to it the 30 day time frame for validation will be over.
Hope someone can help-thanks

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello 12help21 & Welcome to GTG !

Have you got the original product key label ???

On the side case of the computer ( if desktop )

OR

On the bottom ( if laptop ) there should be a product key sticker / OEM product sticker

Anthony19

12help21

12help21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
anthony19-I didn't have the product key
what i entered i got through something called finerkey. the disk i used was a copy and had no key on it. the computer i thought it was from was built.
So i don't have key on the software or on the. box. Would've been nice if i had it, but-sorry. hope you can still help

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello 12help21

In order to gain full access/rights to the software ( in this case... Windows ) you must have a product key to " Unlock the software "

I suggest you call microsoft and buy a new CD or product key... ( CD would be good... for future )

Not much else i can do for you then point you in the right direction.. sorry for any inconvience

Anthony19

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello 12help21...

Let me offer a little more information that may be of help.

If you installed XP Pro over the XP home, there isn't a whole lot you can do but purchase the Pro edition license from Microsoft. They do have a way for you to acquire a license reasonably. Optionally, there are OEM versions of the software available on some retail outlets like newwegg.com that will provide you an operating system and key at an affordable price.

When you installed the Pro edition over the Home edition, it basically replaced the home with the pro. If you used the key you pulled from the home edition registry using key locating software, that key will not be valid on a pro installation...as you found out. If you can find some one with the same version of Windows as what was originally installed on the machine, you may be able to install using that disk and your key.

Even though you apparently didn't know the key was not good, if it won't validate with Microsoft we must treat it as pirated software. Our Terms of Use prevents us with helping with pirated software. Beyond the information given above, I'm afraid we can't give you much help.

Microsoft may be able to help you through one of their "get legal" programs. Give them a call, it's practically painless and they are pretty easy to deal with.

Sorry...and thanks for understanding.

wannabe1