Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot download AVG Free 8.5

• Please log in to reply

tofu5

tofu5

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I tried to update AVG Free from cnet. when I got to the end it said Error and something about AVGEMC.EXE:creating backup......I tried to Uninstall AVG 8 and the computer would not let me. So I perused this site and read about revouninstall, which I downloaded and uninstalled avg free 8. I did not check all the items they put in bold, just the items that said AVG. I have tried twice to download AVG free 8.5 fron cnet, I get all the way to the end and they say Error(sorry I did not write down what kind of error but it was different than the original). Should I go back in with revouninstall and check everything they highlight in bold, even tho it did not say AVG? Currently I have no anti-virus, just SuperAntiSpyware Professional Version.
I use IE, which can be a hassle at times. If I wanted to use Firefox instead, do I uninstall IE before installing Firefox? If so, do I lose bookmarks etc?
I was going to use avast anti-virus but it seems people have been having problems with it also.

Rob

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello tofu5 & welcome to GTG

Even though it does not state Avg in the line , if its a string of numbers .. it is more then likely a registry entry that points in that direction

Revo is a good uninstaller... no doubt

Can you please re-try and write down all technical information and post in next reply... could give us an indication of what is going wrong...

More Computer specs would also be good

Anthony19

PS: Press windows key on keyboard ( the key with windows logo printed onto it ) and then press pease break key
If you cannot find them keys..
goto: > start > Right click on " my computer " , select " properties " from popup menu should be taken to a window that says system properties

Write down all information in that window EXCEPT the registration details...

Thank you

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
My computer:
Gateway model MT6821 Windows Vista Home Premium 3.0 Windows Experience Index
System type- 32 bit operating sysrem Memory 2038 MB Processor: Intel® Core TM2 CPU T5200 @ 1.60 GHz

I went back to revouninstall and entered a search for avg(since I did not Delete some things that did not say avg) and it came up with nothing.
Then went to cnet to download avg. I got this:
"another antivirus or security product is currently installed on this computer, it is not advisable to have two security products running on the same computer. we recommend that you uninstall the existing antivirus/security product before proceeding with the avg 8.5 installation"
As far as I know I do not have any other antivirus on the computer.
I continued to install avg anyway here is what I got:
installation failed. one error occurred. local machine: installation failed. installation: error: action failed for directory update: setting directory access rights...invalid parameter specified
Then I got on Windows Security Center: it said- Firewall is turned on. automatic update not configured. malware protection-check settings.
Windows Firewall is actively protecting your computer. Note- 2 or more Firewalls running at the same time can conflict with each other.

R

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Windows Firewall is actively protecting your computer. Note- 2 or more Firewalls running at the same time can conflict with each other.

If avg8 has a firewall then this is whats causing part of your problem

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I am not clear on this. Is Windows Firewall an anti-virus program? I did not even know it was on my computer until a few minutes ago. And I have had AVG 8 Free edition on this computer for a while. It was only when I wanted to put AVG 8.5 and uninstall AVG 8 on the computer that things didn't act the way they should. And since I did not completely uninstall AVG 8 with revouninstall, I probably have some remnants in the registry or elsewhere. Does this need to come out?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
"another antivirus or security product is currently installed on this computer, it is not advisable to have two security products running on the same computer. we recommend that you uninstall the existing antivirus/security product before proceeding with the avg 8.5 installation"

Windows Firewall is not antivirus but security.
I'm investigating the problem with revo not downloading. Also to answer a question in your post #1...you cannot uninstall IE as it is part of windows itself. You can install Firefox with no problem as I use it and still have IE on my system.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello tofu5

Just to add to " rshaffer61 " post
" tofu5 , Quote: do I lose bookmarks "

" rshaffer61, Quote: you cannot uninstall IE as it is part of windows itself " , That is correct...

tofu5 , You are able to Back-up your bookmarks

Also , When you install firefox ( If you haven't already ) It will ask if you wish to import the bookmarks from another location , Such as IE.. you would select Internet Explorer :) , then all internet explorer favourites will be imported to firefox bookmarks

Hope that clears that issue up :)

Also

" tofu5 , Quote I was going to use avast anti-virus but it seems people have been having problems with it also "

I Have been running Avast for quiet some time now , Runs Excellent / VERY smooth !
I Recommend it to everyone

If you wish to not go with avast , avira is also a good choice...

This is only a personal recommendation , As everyone is different we all prefer different software :)

Best of luck

Anthony19

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Thanks for the mini-tutorial on Firefox, I would like to install it but keep putting it off.
I believe I still have some remnants of avg in my computer, yesterday I found a few more files w/the names avg and grisoft and Deleted them. If they do not have the name avg in them I do not Delete them, even though earlier revo wanted to but it made me nervous Deleting something that did not say avg. Oh well.
Since I cannot install avg and the Geeks recommend avast or avira, I will proceed with one of them. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I use avast also and I uninstalled my other anti virus software. Avast is a great program .

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I was just ready to install avast, then decided to also install firefox. I did one last perusal of GeeksToGo to read about firefox and saw quite a discussion between firefox and opera. I do not download music, do not do anything computer-cellphone oriented, do not watch movies form the internet, my internet does come from WildBlue(if that makes a difference)as all that is available here is dialup service. Would firefox or opera better suit my needs than IE?

R

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
On the firefox matter...

If you are concerned about Internet Performance , Kelvin has done a great job of making a thread on increasing the performance of firefox from just a few simple tweaks

This can be found @ http://www.geekstogo...er-t177375.html

I noticed a great increase as soon as i completed the tweak , You being on dial-up would notice a greater improvement than anyone on broadband ( that is already fast connection )

Best of luck !

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 01 April 2009 - 05:57 PM.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

Would firefox or opera better suit my needs than IE?

Both are excellent. However, if you look at popularity, Firefox is further up. I like Firefox, too. :)

:) Don't worry about Firefox being all new, or not knowing how to use it. It works just the same as Internet Explorer, just has cleaner, shinier look. You will come across some different features, but they are generally pretty straight-forward.

:)

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
EG: Favorites is known as bookmarks :)

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
To clarify, currently I am not on dial-up. I use WildBlue satellite. It advertises a very fast speed but I do not believe we get it. Definitely faster than dial-up tho.
I read Kelvins tweak. In the very first part he says "Type 'about.config:' into the address bar and hit return". By return, does he mean ENTER on the keyboard? Would you reocmmend this Tweak to a definitely non-Geek computer user? If Firefox is installed and not liked can it be removed easily(perhaps by revo)? Where do you recommend downloading Firefox? Cnet?
Thanks.

R

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In my signature is the link to Firefox directly.
As far as the tweak, It is simple to do
I did just last night and it did increase Firefox speed and I am on Comcast Cable business class Home