Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help freeing up space on my laptop

• Please log in to reply

NiteCyper

NiteCyper

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have at least 100 GB of open space on drive D and/but my drive C is filled-to-burst. I don't call myself computer savvy so I'd like help from professionals on opening up space without too much hassle from trying unsure ways.

My current plan of action is to delete large files and one of the biggest files on my computer seems to be "2007 Microsoft Office System" according to the "Programs and Features" window in the Control Panel. I try to uninstall it but it tells me it's corrupted and I cannot do anything with it. The exact message is "2007 microsoft office system setup errors this product installation has been corrupted. run setup again from the cd, dvd, or other original installation source vista windows uninstall" and the title of the popup is "Setup Errors."

I run Windows Vista with Intel Centrino Duo processors and I have 2 GB of RAM. That's what I know from a glance. I am writing this post for someone else. I have never used a forum to solve computer problems before and I hope it's a good solution.

Edit/Addendum: I do have the CD for it and am attempting things with it right now.

On my other PC, I would usually do a search and order things by file size, deleting things that I know for sure I do not need (big movies, e-books, etc.). Then, I would do a Disk Cleanup with the system tool and a defragment.

Addendum 2: Reinstalling it didn't help, so I went directly to the "Microsoft Office" folder in "Program Files" for the laptop owner and deleted it to free up 575 MB. They still wish to free up more space but we don't know what's taking up the majority of the space because I can't do the search on Vista because it's not the same as XP. They will now probably go to "Add or Remove Programs" and try to uninstall more programs.

Edited by NiteCyper, 29 March 2009 - 06:31 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi NiteCyper,

Sorry for the delay.

What I would suggest is deleting all programs you don't need or don't want anymore of Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to Start >> Control Panel >> Double Click Add/Remove Programs >> Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need >> Click on each Program >> Click Change/Remove >> Follow the Uninstall Instructions >>
You may be prompted to restart your computer, if you have the option, restart later if you have more programs to uninstall >> Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled. Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name, Google is your friend in this case.

Next, This will clean up your temporary internet files, cookies, prefetch folder, and tons more. The below instructions can help increase browser speed, overall performance, and is a great way to maintain your system.

Download and Run ATF Cleaner. Make sure all your browsers and programs are closed when you run the cleaner. (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera)

Now, it sounds like you may have a lot of movies, music, documents, and/or pictures on your system. Carefully go through the folders and delete any doubles or ones you don't need anymore. You can also transfer some to the other hard drive, or burn your "archiveable" documents, pictures, etc to a CD, floppy disk, etc.

Finally, download and Run JKdefrag. This is a much better defragger than the one that comes with your computer. Be prepared...this may take a couple hours or more, but you don't have to sit there while it defrags :)

Then, take a look at this article by Artellos. What makes your machine slow? It refers and gives more details to the above instructions, and also provides even more ways of maintaining your system and/or improving performance/speed. Just do the parts you deem necessary, or feel like doing.

Be sure to ask questions if you have trouble with any of the instructions. Good Luck!