Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No restore!

• Please log in to reply

twbanter

twbanter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a feeling something "simple" is going on here! (I'm no geek... No offense! I just suck at this.)
I downloaded Adobe 9.0 and my puter started running so slow, it wouldn't even let my office applications work, never mind the internet.
I managed to get on-----finally-----slowly, and downloaded:
ccleaner-spybot-and auslogics reg cleaner. I also defreged, and scan disked.
Now, though it's working, it's not working right. I click on internet explorer, just an example, and it doesn't even "click" or show the hour glass. A couple of minutes later, it comes on, and it works.... Well sort of. Sometimes I have to click "off, away from whatever page I'm on, I get an hour glass for a moment, then the page becomes active, and it works. When I try to send this, I'll probably have to do that.
I want to restore, but it tells me I made a change to the "systems utility program.".... Huh. When the f^%&^ did I do that? It says I have a run time error, do I want to de-bug? I say yes, and that progrwam does nothing as well. It just stays blank.
Any suggestions?

TW

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello twbanter

Yet another reason you should not use Reg cleaners when you don't know what they are cleaning up :)

Many of topic/threads here about reg cleaners... none of them being any good

They are good if you can understand what it is they are cleaning... and be able to uncheck those items you wish you keep

many cleaners will scramble your computer due to bad programming/programmers

i'm not familular with " auslogics reg cleaner "

But a log from the cleaning would be a good start... ( see what mess it has created :) )

Did you backup your settings / Registry before proceeding with the cleaning ???

Best of luck
&
Happy computing

Anthony19

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go to Start -> Run -> msconfig

Click on Launch System Restore on the General tab. Try and see if that will work.

Only clean your registry with trusted tools, and never use aggressive settings unless you know what you are doing. I only use CCleaner and Tuneup Utilities for my cleaning. Try restoring your registry, most programs create a backup before cleaning the registry. Also uninstall Adobe 9, as that maybe the root of the slow problem.

Edited by edge2022, 30 March 2009 - 11:42 AM.

twbanter

twbanter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:)
Thank you for the info folks. I must tell you that I'm typing now, and the letteres are actually appearing on the screen, (as I type.) This is a major improvement, since I used the auslogics reg cleaner.
Now I DON'T really know what I'm doing, so I won't know which things, (specifically,) to recover.
The problem all started with that Adobe 9.0 install. So I uninstalled it already. I went to microsoft community and someone there told me to go into msconfig, and eliminate all the unneccessary programs running from the start up menu. (There were 76!!!) So I did that.
I began to get a "changes have been made to the "systems utility programs" message everytime I rebooted. My goal was to get this thing to the point where I could "restore" back to where it was working, before I upgraded Adobe.
But it simply will not restore at all. And the reason I did all the (hours,) things I have done, is because it wouldn't restore at the time. ([bleep], it would hardly do ANYTHING!)
I have a "toshiba satelite lap top with XP 2002 version home edition. Is there a list of what NEEDS to be running?
Should I go back there and change something--- or unchange I should say?
Is there a way to "restore" from "safe mode" that I can try?
I also found over 700 registry problems??????? Which I told it to fix. If I tell it to recover them.... I'm going to have the same freekin mess I started with! I don't know how long it would take you guys to go through over 700 items and tell it which ones to recover, and I don't even know which ones to tell it to do that with. But it would take ME eons. I'm 51. I only have, all things going well, maybe 25 more years to live! He, he, he.
iI'm on SSDI, with a very small income, otherwise I'd go out and get a new one!
I totally appreciate your help here, but I'm still searching for a solution, one that will simply let me "restore" back to better days!
Any other idea's???
Guys???
Guys?
GUYS!!!
lOL

tw

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Did you follow my advice above?

Restore all the 700 changes made to your registry, and when the box,

"changes have been made to the "systems utility programs"

comes up on bootup, check the box to not launch the utility and click on "ok"

Before you uncheck any programs from startup using msconfig, search the program on google to find out what it is, and if it is required for the system to properly operate. So, for all the programs you unchecked, make sure it is ok to do so.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Boot to Safe Mode with command Prompt: At the prompt type:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter. See if you can restore this way.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
How much RAM do you have btw ???

Press window key on keyboard ( key with windows logo printed onto it ) then press pause break key ...

IF you are unable to find these keys

Goto : start > locate " My computer " right click on mouse , select " properties " from pop-up menu

Can you paste all the information EXCEPT the registry information ( as no-one here will need to know that... )
-
Thank you

Anthony19
Edited : Bad Spelling

Edited by Anthony19, 30 March 2009 - 05:49 PM.