Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EIDE Ctlr - Win Shutdown ?

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
In reading the post, everything does point to a bad drive (as rshaffer61 has already indicated).
If you want to go 1 step furthur, you can see what the manufacturers own diagnostics says about the drive.
The link is in my signature. You would have to download the iso image and burn it to a CD and boot from that.

Advertisements

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Again, tell me if this belongs in Win XP Foum.

Got new EIDE PATA HDD from tigerdirect ... replaced old drive.

Does the Windows install ask to format the C: drive? And can I set partitions? Or is there something I can download to allow me to format/partition?

Also. went ahead and attempted to install Win XP using the CD I bought a few years ago ...setup ran then determined the was no Win on my HDD (duh) and asked me to put in CD - which I did. BUT the 'install' came back and said:
Either cannot read CD or CD is not a valid Win XP disk

Tried several times - same result ... since I booted from the CD, don't think the cannot read explanation is the problem.

The CD IS a valid Windows XP Home ... using original CD and have original packaging, instructions, and product key ... what's wrong ??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like your cd is bad. You can borrow any other xp cd as long it is the same kind Home or Pro
Your product is all you need then. The product key is what is yours, the cd is generic. If you still have the same problem you may have a failing cdrom drive.
The Xp cd will partition and format the drive before it installs. You will be given the option during the start of installation. Just make sure you choose to format using NTFS and NOT FAT32

BTW thank you Runner123 for checking my diagnosis and verifying it for 911pchelp. It's always good to have a second opinion

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 April 2009 - 06:51 PM.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thank you ... but don't understand - I booted from the CD, so the CD is readable.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Also. went ahead and attempted to install Win XP using the CD I bought a few years ago ...setup ran then determined the was no Win on my HDD (duh) and asked me to put in CD - which I did. BUT the 'install' came back and said:

Tried several times - same result ... since I booted from the CD, don't think the cannot read explanation is the problem.

The CD IS a valid Windows XP Home ... using original CD and have original packaging, instructions, and product key ... what's wrong ??

This is why I say cd might be problem but it looks more like the cdrom drive is having problem reading the cd

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Semi good news

Used reinstall CD from daughter's laptop (XP Media edition - which I didn't want) to get a valid XP on HDD, then used the upgrade CD I had (see previous posts) and Win XP loaded OK.

Problem now is that OS doesn't have a driver for my NIC card (card is a generic - doesn't have a name on it).

Downloaded the NIC drivers from Dell (using URL you had provided) and tried each one - nothing worked. Looked around but couldn't find a CD specifically for my adapter ... probably threw it out several years ago.

Checked tigerdirect and saw a TRENDnet (TV2-ET100) that would plug into USB at PC and has an RJ-45 connection for cable from router. (Reviews were positive - and doesn't need a driver). Any thoughts?

Have plenty of programs to install (and settings to set) so don't need Internet immediately (can use her laptop if have to download).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The card should have a name on it somewhere saying what it is. Even a plug and play does. If not then I would suggest a new card to install.
If you believe the usb connector would work for your needs then go for it. I myself would rather have a internal card. Regardless you will probably have to disable the built on card. Please let us know and we can suggest other card options or help if needed.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I am curious because it sounds like something is not clear.

I relooked at the posts and I got the feeling I know whats wrong.

The cd you bought a few years ago........Is this an upgrade CD?
Because if it is that would make more sense about the CD asking to put in a CD. An upgrade CD will start an install and since it is looking to "upgrade", it is looking for a previous version. That is why it "asked" for a CD.
And since you installed the media center and then used your CD and it now works. That makes sense. I did not find any referance of you saying it was an upgrade (and we didn't ask).

Used reinstall CD from daughter's laptop (XP Media edition - which I didn't want) to get a valid XP on HDD, then used the upgrade CD I had (see previous posts) and Win XP loaded OK.

There should be a label on the nic card somewhere that we can use to get the driver.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Runner123, :) I completely missed the upgrade cd possibility :) . If that is the case we could have fixed this with a easy switch when it asked for cd. I should have asked that question. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I missed it also. Most be old age setting in. :)

Advertisements

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
HAH ... not as old as here ... 64 in May

MY FAULT ... it was (& still is) an upgrade CD. Last time I used it there was a copy of XP on the HDD (i.e. wasn't a new HDD) ... I didn't notice that CD was an upgrade - sorry. Anyway, XP is now successfully installed and the new HDD is working fine.

Wish could say the same for the Ethernet ctlr. Just pulled the card and it has NO label ... just a model # ... DX-E101

I found an Install Guide from Dynex for that model. Went to their website and downloaded the install package but it didn't work - probably PEBCAK

Found a ref in Tech Support Forums that chip was a Realtek and there was an install pkg - trying that now for 2nd time (1st didn't work).

Beginning to think NIC card is bad ... did you see note about Trendnet? What do you think?
NOPE -- actually tried 3 times ... didn't work

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure if this is where you went but try Here
If this is the same or doesn't work then you may be right and need a new card.
Trendnet is not bad, Not sure I would want a USB as it may get hit or knocked out. I can understand why you like it though. Let us know what you think and we can help throw some ideals to you for a replacement if you decide not to go with the trendnet.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Not sure if this is where you went but try Here

Nope .. but thanks ... gives access to products available by Dynex. This is basically where I got their driver that didn't work. (customer supporgt/product drivers)

Not sure I would want a USB as it may get hit or knocked out

Don't understand "hit or knocked out.

At this point I'm leaning toward the TRENDnet - they have it in stock at the local tigerdirect store ... $19.99

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hit or knocked out I mean in case someone runs into the system or bumps the usb card.
If you have a local Tigerdirect then yes get it
It should work with no problem and being usb it should be very reliable.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
OK - THANK YOU

USB connections are under desk in corner plus have no little ones crawling around and it's hidden from biggest problem (my feet) ... thought maybe you meant power surges, etc.

Will post results.