Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble installing windows

• Please log in to reply

Sokol

Sokol

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've been having a rough week with my computer. Last week my machine went nuts. Programs wouldn't work, would shut off after running for a while. So I've ended up puting a completely new hd in it and installing windows xp on that new harddrive. However, i have yet to be able to get through the setup. often times it will stop in the middle of the setup and say that it can't access certain files from my disk. Then itgave me the blue screen of death saying

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
STOP: 0x0000004e (ox0004608,0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Then after restarting my machine it got further in the install then stopped with the blue screen of death:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFFB03E98, 0x00000001, 0x00000000, 0x805108AA)

THen after restarting, it brings up a dos promtp saying . . .
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file

Any ideas? Ughhhhhh about ready to buy a new computer (Pre-built and running)

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Sokol & welcome to GTG

I would like you to have your RAM modules checked out

USE Memtest86 for this... located @ http://www.geekstogo...t86-file11.html , Please read instuctions on how to use
Run overnight , if possible

If RAM passes overnight testing

Run computer untill message appears again, then enter the BIOS and if possible ( Some computer do not have this feature/option ) check the PC health , and check the tempurature , post back with temp

the message " Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system\hal.dll " is misleading... this happens because of the boot.ini file
that is telling the boot where to look for "Windows" is actually damaged, so in turn... it is
looking for those files in the wrong location, hal.dll happens to be the
first one that it searches for...

try to set the BIOS to boot from CD first , then Hard Disk ( Not HD then CD )...
Boot from the XP CD and, instead of selecting Setup, use the R for Repair.
Assume any password requested is blank, and TAB over...

Use
Attrib -H -R -S C:\boot,ini
DEL C:\boot.ini
to delete the bad one
BootCfg /Rebuild

to search for Windows installations and make a new one

Best of luck !
&
Happy Computing

Anthony19

Sokol

Sokol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
THanks I'll try to give this stuff a try (If I can figure it out . . . haha). Can I test the RAM modules if I cannot access windows? Or does this application work at boot?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Memtest works at boot, you don't need Windows to run it.

Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The Stop 0xA message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own. This Stop message is typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

Possible Resolutions:

• A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

• A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.

• If you encounter a Stop 0xA message while upgrading to Windows XPl, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates.

This is for the 2nd error; it's from http://www.geekstogo...des-t43519.html
Try resetting your bios settings to the factory fail safe defaults.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
STOP: 0x0000004e (ox0004608,0x00000000, 0x00000000)

This error maybe caused by a driver problem.
Did you install the new hd as a slave drive, or did you replace the master?

Try what Anthony said, that may solve or tell the source of the problem.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Thank you edge2022 for the deep description of the errors

Very much appreciated !