Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP CD won't boot

• Please log in to reply

james10021

james10021

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I want to format my hard drive and reinstall a clean version of Windows XP Home. However, for whatever reason, my Windows CD won't boot. To make things worse, my floppy drive is out of commission, so I can't use that right now (I just haven't replaced it because I never ever use it). The Windows CD can be read in Windows, the system just can't boot from it. I've booted from this drive before (last time was in November), so I know I can do it. I'm just puzzled why the CD won't boot if it can be read in Windows. Do I need to get a new CD drive?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you put an Audio CD or software CD ROM do they load

If you insert the XP CD does it load it's welcome message with the options, one of which is install XP

If you boot the PC then press the DEL key right after the beep to enter set up, is the boot priority set to CD ROM Drive, if it is and it still does not boot from XP, try tapping the enter key while the PC is booting

cybermaniac99

cybermaniac99

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hey,
i have been throug the same prb! from wht i found out the prb is with either the VIA chipset or the MAxtor HDD, the xp cd did boot when i unplugged my hdd! - let me know if u have any of those mentioned above. + have u tried to install linux? on the system?

1st try unplugging ur HDD and booting from ur XP CD!

in any case if u dont want any data thats currently on ur system... then i recomend u use DM (thats the name if i rem correctly) u can get it from Maxtors website, create a bootable CD with it and format ur HDD fully! this will most prbly run ur XP CD - not a 100% solution tho!

i will let u know if any thing that comes to my mind!